Human Resources Department - Compensation & Job Evaluation Specialist
Department: Human Resources Department
Tracking Code: 1464-136
Number of Positions: 1
Position Title: Compensation & Job Evaluation Specialist
Appointment Type: Full-Time Continuing
Posting Date: December 18, 2018
Closing Date: January 18, 2019
The Human Resources team is looking for an experienced Compensation and Job Evaluation Specialist who is responsible for managing and administering faculty and staff compensation plans. The Specialist will provide in-depth analysis and recommendations on compensation related matters and will be a key contributor to the annual compensation process. The Specialist will also oversee and facilitate the Staff Job Evaluation System and related processes. The Specialist will partner with colleagues in Human Resources and leaders across the university on matters related to compensation and job evaluation.
- Develop proposals and recommendations for the design, development and implementation of new compensation programs and contribute to recommendation on strategies to improve the effectiveness of the compensation policies and the impact those policies have on recruitment, engagement and retention
- Conduct research and analysis on market compensation trends, legislative requirements and ministry directives related to public sector compensation policies; participate in compensation surveys and/or compilation of market data to assist in external benchmarking
- Perform compensation analysis and reporting to support collective bargaining and participate in collective bargaining meetings as appropriate
- Manage the annual compensation planning and administration, including financial modeling and budgeting as well as the preparation of all supporting communication materials, instruction packages and employee letters.
- Manage the administration of the University’s Job Evaluation System and ensure compliance with pay equity guidelines and legislation
- Lead and coordinate the Job Evaluation Committee working group and manage the process of new job classifications, re-evaluations and appeals
- Develop and recommend improvements to policies, procedures, documentation, forms, and tools for managers and employees as they relate to the Job Evaluation System.
- Maintain all supporting documentation related to compensation and job evaluation for retrieval and audit purposes
- In-depth knowledge of compensation program design concepts, principles and practices coupled with strong mathematical aptitude, research and analytical skills
- Proven judgment and problem solving skills
- Well organized, detailed and results driven
- Strong proficiency in Excel, experience with HRIS, data manipulation and report writing tools
- Strong project management skills, organizing and planning skills
- Ability to build strong relationships with peers and stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Commerce, or Human Resources
- Professional accreditation (CCP, CHRP) is preferred
- 5 years of compensation experience including, market analysis, salary administration, and pay equity within a diverse and unionized environment
- Thorough knowledge of statistical methodologies to understand the relationship between internal equity, market survey data and resulting salary structure(s)
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of job evaluation systems and design
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit in electronic format a covering letter and their resume through the UOIT website. Applications will be accepted until January 18, 2019, or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
UOIT is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, while especially encouraging applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UOIT respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants where appropriate. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please notify the Human Resources Department.
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Expected End Date
Expected Start Date
As soon as possible
Staff Level 11