Compensation & Benefits Analyst
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, with over 400 of our lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a Compensation & Benefits Analyst. This role will administer a range of Human Resource programs and services specializing in compensation, benefits, pension administration and job evaluation.
- Supports the annual salary and bonus review process including data entry, report preparation, letter generation, payroll integration etc.
- Receives, completes and prepares analysis from external salary and benefit surveys from various professional organizations
- Writes job descriptions, conducts preliminary job evaluations and recommends appropriate salaries and salary ranges. Creates appropriate salary letters and related documentation
- Supports the administration of the Firm’s benefits plans, including responding to basic employee inquiries and conducting research. Requires frequent interaction with brokers and external vendors
- Administers the Firm’s disability management (return to work) program by interacting with staff, third party adjudicators, insurance companies and Supervision regarding all aspects of the Firm’s short term absence program and long term disability program
- Manages the Firm’s “Wellness Initiatives” through delivery of local events, such as lunch-&-learns, flu clinics etc., and national programs (such as the 90 Day Challenge)
- Provides support to the Manager in the overall administration of the Firm’s pension plan through management of enrolment and termination process, arranging for information sessions, distribution of annual statements, completion of remittances to custodians and responding to basic Plan member questions
- Performs other related duties as required
Education and Experience
Community College diploma in Business or a related discipline is required and Certification in Human Resource Management (CHRP) and/or Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designations are an asset. Two to five years’ experience working in a Human Resources environment ideally with exposure to compensation, pension, benefits, payroll and HRIS. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience is acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Analytical skills, detail orientation and mathematical accuracy required for salary administration and job evaluation
- Thorough understanding of legislation as it applies to benefits, pension, payroll and compensation matters
- Developing knowledge of US benefits, 401(k) and payroll administration
- Solid understanding of employment legislation and its application to area of focus (e.g. disability management)
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Time management skills to efficiently handle multiple demands
- Focused listening, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills required to deal with a variety of individuals on a regular basis
- Strong HRIS experience
- Knowledge of office computer applications with advanced skills using Excel and File Maker
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.