Human Resources Manager
Note: In the summer of 2020 this position will permanently relocate to the Newnham Campus.
Reporting to the Director, Employee and Labour Relations, the incumbent contributes to the College’s goals and objectives by providing a full range of proactive Human Resources consulting / advising services and coaching to a specific client group of managers and staff from the Academic and Service areas of the College.
Labour / Employee Relations Activities
- Ensures the College employee and labour relations activities are in compliance with Collective Agreements and legislative requirements.
- Provides senior level advice, assistance, and consultation on employment and labour relation issues involving support, academic, and administrative staff.
- Investigates and resolves employee issues. Provides advice and assistance to client groups in managing the complaints, grievances and arbitration processes. Records and maintains confidential notes, investigations and research associated with complaints and issues.
- Oversees, leads and participates at union / management meetings.
- Leads whole school projects in order to implement and provide change to current labour practices.
Recruitment, Workforce Planning & Organizational Development
- Provides administrative support and strategic advice to client groups for workforce planning.
- Provides strategic guidance on “hard to fill” roles and advice on structure changes.
- Provides procedural advice and guidance to client groups to ensure fairness of the recruitment process and compliance with College policies and procedures.
Human Resources Services Activities/Functions
- Contributes to the development of departmental goals and objectives by assisting with the development and implementation of guidelines, procedures and / or policies with respect to labour relations, recruitment and selection and workforce planning matters.
- Researches, collects, analyze and interprets information such as case law, legal precedents, and arbitration awards as required.
- Implements legislative requirements, system changes and compliance matters.
- Identifies / analyzes employee relations trends.
- Effective liaison with other HR Managers assigned to other client groups and other HR staff to ensure effective delivery of high quality service to client groups.
- Undertakes ad hoc HR projects as required.
- Minimum three (3) year diploma or degree in Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations or Business with Human Resources/Labour Relations major. If in another discipline, please state how the education is related.
- CHRL designation is an asset.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in a combination of labour relations and generalist positions, providing employee and labour relations advice to all levels of management within a diverse, multi-union, multi-site workplace.
- Public sector experience preferred.
- Demonstrated in-depth and current knowledge and experience with workforce planning, grievance and arbitration procedures, arbitral jurisprudence, employment-related legislation, and human resources theories/techniques.
- Strong conflict resolution, negotiation, customer service, research, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interpret and explain labour relations information, conduct interviews and interact with the College’s multi-cultural/racial/able staff.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- A valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle are required for travel between campuses.