Human Resources Consultant - Labour Relations
Position Title: Human Resources Consultant
Job Class: MG007
Dept/Program: HR Operations
Employee Group: Management
Employment Type: Full Time
Posting Type: Open
Work Schedule: 37.50 hours weekly as per schedule
Posting Date: January 17th, 2019
The Manager of HR Operations is currently seeking a Human Resources Consultant – Labour & Employee Relations. The purpose of the position is to provide human resources expertise to all levels of Management with a focus on employee and labour relations to support the strategic and operational objectives of the organization.
- Provides human resources expertise and technical support to the meeting of clients’ and hospital goals and objectives and to the resolution of issues that may impede progress towards them
- Plays a key role in Human Resources strategic projects as assigned (pay equity negotiations, collective agreement negotiations, etc.) and supports the Manager of HR Operations in hospital-wide objectives
- Acts as an advisor and coach to managers on labour relations, performance management and discipline matters
- Acts as designee for the CEO at Step 2 of the grievance process and shares responsibility for the overall oversight of grievance administration for the Hospital with the Manager – HR Operations; researches and recommends settlement options and prepares and executes Memorandums of Settlement/Memorandums of Agreement; participates in the Arbitration process by assisting to prepare cases and attending hearings
- Takes a lead role in conducting just cause, human rights and personal harassment investigations, makes determinations regarding findings of fact to ensure conclusions are based on collected evidence and will withstand third-party scrutiny; recommends appropriate resolutions and remedies including drafting letters of suspension and termination for the signature of the appropriate Vice-President; where appropriate assist managers to access qualified service providers if external investigator is needed
- Receives all requests for workplace scheduling accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code, determines whether or not request meets the standard for “duty to accommodate” under the Act and communicates the outcome to the employee
- Researches and creates draft policies in a variety of human resources functional areas and reviews operational policies for human resources implications
- Engages in research, literature reviews and continuous learning to maintain knowledge of trends, emerging legislation and new case law that may change the landscape of the Hospital; disseminates this information by creating communication for line managers that provides analysis and recommendations for change in the Hospitals’ practices/policies
- Creates job description reports and is the resident expert in job evaluation and classification processes
- Post-secondary education at the Bachelor’s degree level
- Specialized training/education in the human resources management or employee/labour relations functions
- Minimum of 5 years’ of progressive Human Resources/Labour Relations work experience, preferably within a unionized environment
- Formal education/training in alternate dispute resolution, mediation and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated experience with alternative dispute resolution and conflict resolution, conducting workplace investigations and job evaluations
- Results oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
- Demonstrated analytical, interpersonal, project management and organizational skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to adapt readily to change
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values (Caring, Respect, Accountability, Innovation), and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
- Preference for proficiency in French/English language skills
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by quoting Job ID WC18-290. Please note: this posting will remain open until filled. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position, however, due to high volumes only those selected for an interview will be contacted.