Disabilty & Risk Management Specialist
6 days left
- Designations Required/Preferred
Algoma owns and operates the largest fleet of dry and liquid bulk carriers operating on the Great Lakes – St. Lawrence Waterway, including self-unloading dry-bulk carriers, gearless dry-bulk carriers and product tankers. Algoma also owns ocean self-unloading dry-bulk vessels operating in international markets and a 50% interest in NovaAlgoma, which includes a diversified portfolio of dry-bulk fleets operating internationally. Our Vision is to Become a Leader in the Shipment of Bulk Commodities.
Reporting to the HR Manager (Disability & Risk Management) this position manages a high volume of occupational and non-occupational claims within organizational standards and industry best practices.
- Manages all facets of claim evaluation for assigned claims, particularly with respect to cause and effect and relating the injury to the accident. This includes the interviewing of witnesses and obtaining information from the relevant medical personnel.
- Manages assigned personal illness claims for non-salaried employees.
- Ensures that all required documentation is properly completed and necessary supporting documentation, witness statements, medical records etc., are made available and maintained on file.
- Monitors the recovery progress of claimants with the purpose of ensuring the employee receives appropriate medical care and is working towards an early and successful return to work.
- Participates in relevant industry committees to ensure a unified industry approach to the prevention of personal injury accidents and the handling of compensatory claims.
- Collects data and maintains incident/accident/personal injury database (CMCM) and any reports that need to be generated on a regular or periodic basis.
- Ensures external and internal reporting is completed as per regulatory and/or administrative guidelines when workplace accidents occur.
- Inputs all claims including correspondence with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and assists with the preparation of appeals, at times representing the employer.
- Maintains communication with other departments with regards to a claim’s status on an as needed.
- Assists in preparing invoices relating to claims, including employee expenses.
- Prepares statistical reports and maintain injury databases.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Post secondary education or equivalent preferably with a concentration in Human Resources or Disability Management.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in claims management.
- Knowledge of disability legislation and regulations including the Duty to Accommodate, the Employment Equity Act, Workers Compensation Act and Human Rights Legislation in disability management planning Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including a high proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills.
- Able to maintain deadlines and timelines.
- The ability to multi-task in a quick paced ever changing environment.
- Highly motivated and works well in both a team environment and independently.
Job Type / Category
Please note this position is required to be on call, conduct vessel visits as required and to travel occasionally within Canada.
We offer a competitive compensation package which includes an annual salary, incentive bonus, benefits plan, pension plan, fitness membership and parking. Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act.
If you are interested in a rewarding career with Algoma Central Corporation please send your application to email@example.com and include “Disability Specialist” in the subject line of your email.