Director, Occupational Health, Safety and Wellness at William Osler Health System
Director, Occupational Health, Safety & Wellness
Department/Campus: Human Resources/Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness (Travel between sites is required)
Reporting to the Vice-President of People & Organization Development, this senior position is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of a robust health, safety and wellness strategy at William Osler Health System (Osler). The Director proactively engages leadership as a change agent and champion to embed a culture of health, safety and wellness at Osler and provide ongoing direction, expertise and guidance as it relates to all strategic and operational health, safety and wellness matters. This position is accountable to deliver strong results through a high performing team of professionals including specialists in OH&S health education, safety compliance, attendance management, disability management and the management of WCB claims with the scope of establishing, maintaining and driving sustained improvement in health, wellness and safety performance.
Key leadership functions for this role include:
- Accountability for the creation, development and implementation of strategic priorities for the portfolio while garnering valuable input from all stakeholders
- Working collaboratively and strategically with key areas of the hospital to continue to improve the employee experience and to add value to our service commitment
- Influences Osler’s leadership in adopting and embracing an integrated approach to employee health and wellness effectiveness
- Provides leadership and guidance in the provision of disability management program delivery, health services development and delivery, and corporate wellness and mental health strategies
- Oversees the management of all occupational and non-occupational disabilities claims to realize maximum returns and contain benefit costs
- Assures the effectiveness of employee health and wellness programs through comprehensive, accurate and transparent reporting and performance management
- Formulates changes and/or additions to disability management and wellness programs that reflect the changing needs of the employees and the trends in the Osler disability claims data.
- Administers the return to work process for ill, injured or disabled employees in accordance with the Return to Work and Accommodation Policy which includes facilitating employee accommodations and complex return to work situations
- Leads the Attendance Support Program to ensure that organizational goals are achieved.
- Consults with management throughout Osler to assess priorities and identify gaps in existing disability management and attendance support programming and services in order to provide leadership and guidance to professional staff in influencing and motivating active integration of health and wellness practices into business areas’ everyday operations and culture.
- Continuously testing and implementing creative and innovative ways of providing quality health care services
- Seeking out best practices, engaging with peers and other external stakeholders to ensure that Osler is at the leading edge
- A seasoned professional, with 5 to 10 years of experience in progressively senior positions with a proven track record in improving the health and wellness of health care workers, with a high commitment to employee engagement
- Preferably an Occupational Health Nurse (OHNA) and/or a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (BCRSP) designation (or in progress) combined with the Certified Disability Management Professional (CDMP) designation
- A Certified Human Resource Leader (CHRL) designation would be an asset
- A Bachelor’s degree or preferably a Masters’ degree in health sciences, business administration, human resources or related discipline
- Knowledge of the CSA Psychological Standard and/or experience dealing with mental health issues preferably in a health care environment
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing innovative services, policies, procedures and programs in the areas of Workplace Safety, Occupational Health & Wellness, Safety Management Systems, Abilities Management, and general Human Resources practices
- Proven experience successfully leading large change initiatives within a large multi-faceted organization
If you would like to apply to this position, go to our Careers website at https://careeropportunities.williamoslerhs.ca/, create your online profile and submitting a Cover Letter and Resume to Posting # OSLER06032.
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds.
We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility Ontario Disability Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose.