Manager of HR Services
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Manager of HR Services is accountable for the overall leadership and management of the HR Section which includes policy development, labour relations, health and safety, learning and development, compensation, benefits and recruitment.
In this position you will provide advice, guidance and creative solutions while dealing with complex issues and be responsive to the changing needs of a dynamic workforce. You will develop clear HR objectives that are designed to create a positive work environment to engage staff, facilitate good employee and labour relations, support career growth initiatives, foster strong commitment to the Town's values and customer service. You are a strategic thinker who can anticipate, identify and lead future people-related issues and be a vital resource to management and staff regarding on-going or emerging HR issues.
- Provides strategic leadership, support and advice to the C.A.O, Directors, Managers/Supervisors, employees and Council.
- Contributes to Corporate activities and aligns HR Services functions with the corporate direction so that HR Services considerations are integral to corporate decisions.
- Communicates a consistent view of the Corporation's operations, its values and strategic plan in order to facilitate good employee and labour relations ensuring that department and Corporate goals and objectives are met.
- Develops and leads the overall HR Strategy, with a team approach, ensuring that priorities are aligned with Corporate priorities and that goals set by Management and Council are achieved.
- Develops and monitors annual HR budget ensuring financial actuals are in line with the approved budget and deviations in financial results are identified and communicated.
- Manages the delivery of HR services ensuring delivery is responsive and effective and that services are current and consistent with industry best practice.
- Provides direction and leadership to the HR team with respect to their areas of specialty.
- Builds a strong competent HR team by leading, coaching, motivating, supporting and mentoring staff to support their ability to provide value added services.
- Review all services provided by HR throughout the year to ensure they are meeting the needs of the organization and recommend changes as needed.
- Research and keep current on emerging issues such as legislation changes, court and arbitration rulings to ensure the Town stays compliant and manages risks.
- Ensures the Town's interests are protected in relation to legislation law and collective agreements.
- Ensures consistency and fairness is applied throughout all HR related services and policies.
- A degree in Human Resource Management or Industrial Relations along with a Human Resources designation (i.e. CHRP/L or other equivalent HR designation), or a combination of training, education and experience deemed equivalent
- A minimum of 10 years progressively responsible HR experience preferably in a municipal setting.
- Experience in negotiating collective agreements as the lead negotiator; excellent knowledge of and experience in grievance / mediation processes.
- Experience in conducting workplace investigations.
- Sound knowledge in the areas of the Labour Relations Act, Employment Standards, Pay Equity Act, Human Rights Act, Occupational Health & Safety and any other applicable legislation.
- Excellent communication, organization, project management and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and evolving environment where continuous improvement and best practices are embraced.
- You must hold a valid Ontario G driver's licence in good standing; and the ability to provide a current criminal reference check that is satisfactory to the Town
Applications are accepted at www.ajax.ca/careers until 11:59 p.m. on February 22, 2019.
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file.