Manager, Employee Relations (contract)
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $350 billion, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed half a trillion dollars by 2025. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB’s important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
Reporting to the Director, Employee Relations, you will provide practical, solution oriented employee relations advice and provide coaching where necessary in order to minimize risk to CPPIB with respect to complex employment issues. This role is an 18 month contract position.
While based in Toronto, the Employee Relations function is responsible for supporting CPPIB’s global offices. You will assist with monitoring and updating the HR team on relevant global employment laws and practices to ensure compliance and to proactively mitigate any risk. Under the guidance of the Director, ER you will also assist with the development and maintenance of HR policies, practices and guidelines as required in addition to assisting with ER initiatives and projects where needed.
In this role you will be a key member of a growing and dynamic team of human resources professionals, working in a global investment management organization on behalf of 20 million CPP beneficiaries and contributors.
As the ideal candidate, you are recognised for your sound judgment, strong problem solving skills and a demonstrated track record of managing complex issues with multiple stakeholders. You are a skilled negotiator, have a comprehensive understanding of Employee Relations and employment law issues as well as a curiosity to learn about novel issues. You are also a highly effective communicator who builds relationships with senior partners and stakeholders while exhibiting a high level of discretion.
- Providing practical ER advice, guidance, support & information to CPPIB managers, HR Business Partners and the wider HR team to assist in resolving a range of workplace issues including performance management, discipline and dismissal, complex disability management etc.;
- Assisting managers and employees in the successful resolution of workplace issues;
- Collaborating with HR Business Partners to identify improvements in case management;
- Assisting and participating in projects, both planned and ad hoc, to improve HR practices and procedures;
- Reviewing employment policies, procedures, guidelines and templates to ensure that they are current and updated with new employment legislation or best practice, where appropriate; and
- Fostering open communication with employees and managers by encouraging and building a culture of high performance, integrity and partnership.
- Deep experience in human resources or employment law
- Strong advisory skills
- Excellent problem solving skills and a demonstrated ability to apply judgment to solve complex issues
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment with demands emerging from multiple sources
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong relationships
- A collaborative approach and an ability to partner with HR colleagues and business leaders
We are open to a range of applicants and will set the title and compensation of the role according to experience, talent and ability. In either case, the individual will be given both support and time to grow into the role.
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.