2 days left
- Designations Required/Preferred
Human Resources Consultant
Organization: Town of Oakville
Job Term: Full Time Permanent
Salary: $86,784 – $104,184
Job ID: 1240-003
Call No: 18-1610
The Town of Oakville’s HR Department is looking for an experienced, self-motivated and solutions-oriented individual to provide human resources services. Reporting to the Manager of HR Advisory Services, the HR Consultant plays a critical role in supporting our business by providing advice and counsel to managers and employees on a broad range of Human Resource programs and practices. You will support organizational and business specific initiatives, the deployment of new and revised HR policies and programs and be a trusted advisor to our clients.
To be successful in this role, you will have extensive human resources and employee/labour relations experience and be skilled in influencing people, building collaborative relationships and creating new and different approaches.
Your demonstrated experience includes:
- Providing guidance on employee/labour relations, recruitment and selection, job evaluation and salary administration, organizational development, talent management and performance management for various client departments;
- Supporting clients on the administration and management of various collective agreements, policies, procedures and statutory legislation;
- Participate in early-stage grievance meetings and Labour Management Committees; participate in and provide support to the Senior Consultant, Employee & Labour Relations, for final stage grievance meetings, mediation and arbitration;
- Partnering with internal stakeholders to provide support on the full employment life cycle, acting as the first point of contact for employees and management with respect to all HR related matters;
- Partnering with managers to resolve employee/labour relations issues, including performance management, grievance management, progressive disciplinary action (including terminations), workplace investigations, and workplace accommodations, in alignment with legislative requirements;
- Participating in and supporting the Human Resources Department in the development, launch and maintenance of HR programs, projects and initiatives;
- Developing and delivering training for clients on various HR/ELR topics;
- Taking the lead and/or supporting special projects that may include organizational design, policy review/design, compliance initiatives, HR self-service or other projects to support key HR and/or corporate objectives;
- Researching, analyzing and forecasting HR trends and best practices and utilizing information to assess gaps between the organization’s HR strategy and current HR practice as an input to departmental objective setting and project scoping;
- Partnering with business unit managers supporting job design and job description creation, talent acquisition and workforce planning to meet work unit objectives.
Education & other requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related discipline with minimum of 5 years of related work experience acting in an intermediate to senior-level HR generalist capacity in a unionized environment, preferably in the public sector (a combination of education and experience may be considered);
- Demonstrated knowledge and effective application of HR practices including performance management, talent management, organizational design, change management, compensation and disability management;
- Demonstrated employee & labour relations experience, strong negotiation skills and the ability to coach and counsel on current HR policies and procedures;
- Collaborative work style with HR colleagues and clients that exhibits a solutions-oriented approach and self-motivation;
- Previous experience in developing and implementing HR policies, procedures and programs;
- Strong knowledge of provincial employment legislation;
- Proven ability to build rapport, inquire, listen, diagnose and summarize issues to influence and obtain agreement and commitment on recommended course of action;
- Well-honed analytical, organizational, presentation and decision facilitation abilities that have resulted in effective relationships with internal clients, colleagues and senior management;
- CHRL designation is considered a strong asset;
- Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution preferred;
- Certificate/training in Workplace Investigations preferred.
- Strategic Thinking – innovating through analysis and ideas
- Engagement – working effectively with people organizations and partners
- Management excellence – delivering results through own work, relationships and responsibilities
- Accountability and Respect – serving with integrity and respect
Click Competency Profile to view the competencies for this professional level.
Teamwork, accountability, dedication, honesty, innovation and respect
- a progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance and strives to be a great place for great people to do great things
- a defined benefit pension plan
- a comprehensive health plan complemented with life and disability insurance.
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca in the employment section no later than midnight on February 18, 2019.
DATED: February 5, 2019
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Successful candidates will abide by Ontario Health & Safety Legislation and follow Corporate Health & Safety Policies
The Town of Oakville is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3.