Human Resources Business Partner
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
The Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) position provides all required human resource services to designated business units (client groups) within the gas, renewables, and corporate services. The HRBP is accountable to develop, implement, and manage strategies designed to support the overall HR business plan. The role is accountable to provide professional HR guidance to client groups with the objective of facilitating successful completion of goals. This includes all aspects of workforce planning, and people processes (performance, development, labour relations etc.) to enhance business performance. The role supports operations in Ontario and Quebec. The role may be based in either Ottawa or Sarnia.
- Providing best in class HR advise and business partnerships for client groups in support of business plans.
- Partnering with business leaders on setting related business priorities and resource allocation to address any and all operational challenges and opportunities.
- Managing all aspects of the functional human resource programs including planning, organizing and providing direction and control to ensure on-time delivery within budget.
- Providing labour relations support including supporting the bargaining and negotiating process for collective agreements; grievance and arbitration preparation, employee relations
- Identifying and mitigating risks on initiatives and activities that may impact areas of reputation, legislative compliance and labour relations.
- Operating in accordance with company policies, procedures, standards, regulatory and legal requirements; ensuring these requirements are understood and adhered to by the business.
- Building organizational alignment (e.g. positions, accountabilities and authorities, people, deliverables, tasks).
- Providing critical and strategic advice to the business in support of continuous development.
- Supporting change management and employee engagement plans.
- Supporting the development and implementation of strategies, processes and methods to build organizational capability.
- Partnering with operations management in forecasting and planning the talent pipeline requirements in line with the function/business strategy.
- Providing professional HR guidance within a framework that demonstrates an understanding of business trends and needs.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Labour Relations or related business degree
- Current Certified Human Resource Professional (CHRP) designation or working towards
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in human resource management with broad based generalist experience working within a unionized workforce.
- Experience with collective agreement interpretation, employee relations issues, human rights, and performance management and labour practices
- Ability to engage, manage difficult conversations and influence outcomes while maintaining strong trusting relationships
- Demonstrates capability to understand the business and create the link between HR strategy and business strategy
- Demonstrates the ability to identify potential and existing problems and create effective solutions to address them following appropriate analysis.
- Labor Relations experience in an Industrial gas, power generation environment is an asset;
- Industrial gas, power generation, mining or operations experience an asset
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. This position will require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance.