Head of HR Ops and Total Rewards
About Cox Automotive Canada
Cox Automotive is transforming the way the world buys, sells, and owns cars with industry-leading digital marketing, software, financial, wholesale and e-commerce solutions for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and the overall automotive ecosystem worldwide. In Canada, the Cox Automotive family includes Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, HomeNet®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, Ready Logistics®, RMS Automotive®, vAuto®, VinSolutions® and Xtime®, along with a host of other brands in other countries. The global company has 34,000 team members in more than 220 locations and is a partner to more than 50,000 auto dealers, as well as most major automobile manufacturers. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of 120-year-old Cox Enterprises, Inc., which has revenues exceeding $20 billion and approximately 55,000 employees. Cox Enterprises’ other major operating subsidiaries include Cox Communications and Cox Media Group. For more information about Cox Automotive Canada, visit coxautoinc.ca.
The Head HR Ops & Total Rewards reporting to the VP of Human Resources will serve as a strategic HR leader to businesses across Cox Automotive Canada. The successful candidate will lead innovative HR mandates that drive HR Operations and Total Rewards initiatives while providing proactive counsel to business leaders, provide guidance to HR operational team members and develop & implement innovative HR strategies that contribute to achieving business objectives, enhanced Cox Automotive employee experiences’ and to strengthen our high performing workforce.
The successful incumbent is one who is ambitious, thrives in a changing environment, enjoys innovating and is passionate about putting our team members at the heart of everything they do.
- As the Head of HR Ops & Total Rewards leader, focus will be overseeing; compensation; benefits; payroll; HR systems, policies & processes and talent acquisition
- Provide leadership by developing a strategic total rewards program that will enable the attraction, development, and retention of talent
- Integral in leading and building a team of HR Operational Business Partners, to work closely together with business leaders to provide comprehensive & proactive HR solutions, input and advice on operational practices, systems and processes.
- Provide guidance to management, employees and the HR organization regarding market trends, Total Rewards philosophy, compensation, benefits programs and processes; keep abreast of legislation, trends, marketplace changes and advances and makes recommendation to ensure competitiveness and compliance.
- Provide subject matter expertise and accurately interpret, counsel, communicate, and educate HRBPs, managers and senior leaders on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretations, and job evaluations.
- Develop a comprehensive, effective communications strategy for Total Rewards, specifically for the Canadian business, that also aligns to the direction of the strategies of the global Cox Automotive Global Strategy
- Develop annual department and project budgets; identifies variances and takes corrective actions as appropriate.
- Designs, documents and communicates all health, wellness and retirement plans and negotiates and administers all related contracts. Provides benefit financial and costing data to management.
- Establish and maintain a compensation structure (base salary, bonus and long-term incentive) that is internally equitable and competitive with the external market.
- Ensures that all compensation and benefits programs meet provincial, federal and local compliance and including taxation requirements, etc.
- Acts as a ‘gatekeeper’ between the HR operational services and the HR Business Partners to ensure offerings are developed or refined, to strengthen the employee experience offered to team members across the organization.
- Work closely with the VP of HR and the Head of HRBPs, to devise business plans to implement the organizations HR initiatives and programs aligned to the values across the business and beyond, with a focus on building and strengthening a culture of high performance.
- Serves as an expert consultant to management on human resources related issues while acting as an employee champion and change agent.
- This role is responsible for 3-5 direct reports
- Undergraduate degree in Business, HR Management or related degree an asset.
- Certified CEB (Certified Employee Benefits Specialist), CCP (Certified Compensation Professional) and/or CHRP/CHRL (Certified HR Professional/Leader) required
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in progressive Compensation and Benefits design, strategy and people management required inclusive of 2+ yrs of leading teams
- Strong HR functional expertise in HR systems and processes, employee lifecycle, benefit design and administration
- HR Operational Management experience including compliance, audit/validation of data sets from disparate systems, reporting and analysis to enable strategy formulation
- Excellent project management skills and strong operational focus
- Excellent facilitation, presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- In-depth knowledge of provincial and federal legislations and employment laws
- Possess consultative, influential, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience with enterprise HRIS solutions and data analytics (experience with Ultipro is a plus).
- Thorough understanding of providing both strategic and operational advice, and support at a senior level.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization an asset
- Language: English required, French language an asset
- Technical Skills: Well versed in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), HRIS Systems (Ultipro and/or PeopleSoft an asset)
- 15% travel, primarily local, regional or national
- Full-time permanent position with generous benefits