Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Purpose and Scope
Develop, implement, and evaluate environmental, health and safety programs and strategies while promoting a proactive approach to environmental, health and safety matters throughout the organization that will lead to an internal responsibility system.
- Providing technical leadership and guidance to staff on environmental, health and safety issues including but not limited to ergonomics, evaluating health and safety procedures, in areas such as accident investigation, emergency preparedness and submission of reports to government agencies
- Leads the Joint Health and Safety Committee as Certified Management Co-Chair and coordinates the development and implementation of programs directed at supporting internal responsibility in the management of workplace safety
- Analyze workplace practices and processes to determine safety requirements and play a major role in the developing and implementing Physical Demand Analysis for positions within the manufacturing area
- Develop and administer comprehensive health and safety and loss control management including collaborating with the Director, Human Resources on Workplace Safety and Insurance Board claims management and modified work programs
- Develop, Coordinate and lead the effective health, safety and environmental training programs including topics for monthly safety talks, as required by law and legislation while ensuring all training and licensing programs are adhered to
- Assess health and safety training needs, as well as develop action plans with input from management, as well as arranging and/or delivering of training programs to meet those needs. The delivery of training may include the occasional delivery of safety talks to support the organization as needed.
- Perform health and safety audits and inspections, as well as coordinate any related action plans with input from department managers and/or senior team staff
- Assisting employees in maintaining a safe and healthy workplace, as well as act as technical resource and advisor to management on related manners
- Ensure legislative compliance and reporting on health, safety and environmental matters
- Ensure site health, safety and environmental policies and procedures are in place aimed at promoting the well-being of site employees
- Provide regular status reports to site management regarding safety activities including accident investigations, routing inspections, program compliance audits, safety training compliance and environmental/health and safety statistics
- Monitor new and revised legislation such as the Occupational Health and Safety Act and relevant Environmental legislation applicable to the site
- Serve as active member of the WSIB Safety Group Advantage Program and ensure that the program is developed and all objectives are met and aligned with program requirements
- Accompany regulatory inspection visits from agencies such as the Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment Ontario, WSIB, etc.
- Organize and participate in regular safety meetings with site management to ensure program implements and goals are met
- Chair Quarterly, EHS reviews with the site senior team
- Meet Expectations as outlined by the latest version of the site’s Management Health and Safety Performance Review document published by the Human Resources Department
- Bachelor degree in Health and Safety and / or Human Resources
- CRSP and CHRP designation would be an asset
- First Aid & AED Certification
- WSIB Certified Management representative.
- 8 to 10 years of experience in manufacturing
- Previous work experience in leading a JHSC
- Experience in workplace occupational health and safety monitoring (I.e. Occupational noise exposure, etc.)
Other Skills Required
- Well versed in WSIB, OHS Acts, and EHS regulation
- Environmental protocols for City and federal regulations
- Familiar with regulations, latest trends, systems
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of applicable health and environmental legislation
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer literacy
- Possess strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills combined with good planning, prioritizing, and organizational skills
- Team player who will build effective working relationships with all levels within the organization to spearhead the Environmental Health and Safety Programs and the internal Responsibility system.