Human Resources Manager
Informa is one of the world’s leading knowledge providers. We create and deliver highly specialized information through publishing, events, training, market intelligence and expertise, providing valuable knowledge to individuals, businesses and organizations worldwide. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE 100.
Informa’s Global Exhibitions Division is the world’s #1 exhibitions organizer focused on transaction-oriented exhibitions and trade shows, which provide buyers and sellers across different industries and communities with a powerful platform to meet face to face, build relationships and conduct business. Informa has a portfolio of more than 500 exhibitions, serving a number of core verticals, including Health & Nutrition, Life Sciences, Beauty & Fashion, Property & Construction, Agriculture, Aviation & Maritime, and Pop Culture.
Informa Canada is one of the largest Canadian producers and marketers of tradeshows, consumer shows and conferences serving the construction, real estate, craft, art and design, and pop culture markets. Under the Informa Exhibitions division, Informa Canada produces and manages over 55 events in: Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Québec City, Regina, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg – attracting over 4,500 exhibitors and 400,000+ attendees annually. Some of its well-known brands include: Construct Canada, BUILDEX, Art Toronto, One of a Kind Shows, Interior Design Shows, Real Estate Forums and Fan Expo. Our mission is to create, produce and manage relevant and profitable events, where successful business relationships are formed and nurtured.
What we’re looking for:
Informa Canada is looking for a Human Resource Business Manager to join our team in Toronto! This generalist role is responsible for overseeing all HR activities across the Canadian region. The HR Manager works mostly as a stand-alone position, leading the Canadian Human Resources practices and objectives that will provide employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce.
This position works within the Global Exhibitions (GE) HR Americas team reporting directly to the VP of Human Resources, North Americas, and reports within a matrix environment locally to the VP of Finance. The individual is accountable for delivering the Americas HR strategy across the region, implementing HR policies and procedures which support the organization in achieving its business objectives. Key stakeholder skills and a commercial business focus are critical for the success of this position with the majority of colleagues located in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
You are accountable for the following:
- Partners with business leaders to assess employee skills and performance; establishes and executes effective performance management initiatives and programs, talent planning, and talent development and organization design.
- Develops and implements pro-active employee relations and engagement strategies and tactics to enhance employee performance, engagement and evolve culture.
- Investigates employee concerns and issues and partners with management to broker resolution.
- Partners with Talent Acquisition to identify and select high performing talent for client businesses.
- Maintains the accuracy of HR data and establishes processing procedures including the accurate inputting and tracking of HR and personal data regarding new hire employees, salary and personnel status changes in the HR Management Systems (HRMS).
- Monitors assigned payroll activities and program components for the purpose of ensuring effective regional functioning, coordinating activities, and compliance with established financial, legal, and administrative requirements.
- Ensures pay practice compliance is fully in place across the region. Ensuring key stakeholders, including Legal and Recruitment are supporting the region and are in alignment to vertical’s requirements.
- Administers and educates employees regarding benefits and maintains a sustainable relationship with regional insurance providers.
- Cascades KPI and analytic data to key stakeholders to proactively develop solutions.
- Anticipates / identifies organizational change opportunities and proactively partners with business leaders to plan and manage change initiatives.
- Partners with VP HR and the Global Learning and Performance Team to design and/or facilitate various training and development programs for employees and management.
- Coaches client business leaders, continuously supporting their development in managing and leading employees and teams.
- Assists the implementation, engagement and alignment with senior managers for the annual compensation review process within the regional vertical.
- Ensures the regional vertical delivers the talent mapping and succession planning process which is in alignment with the agreed process in GE.
- Supports the VP of HR with the onboarding of acquired businesses and general HR support for the accountable senior leader in the region.
- Coordinates the collection and processing of documents required for inbound immigration while ensuring compliance with Informa’s immigration policies and processes.
- Ensures compliance with Canadian legal labor and employment environment and maintains current knowledge of trends, practices and applicable provincial laws and regulations, essential to the professional practice of human resources and organization development within the region.
- Ensures all HR controls are in place, communicated and adhered to within the region.
- Participates in various regional and Americas wide HR projects and colleague engagement initiatives including planning and organizing staff events and recreational activities.
What you bring to the team:
- Degree or diploma in business administration, human resources management, or a related field required. Industry background is preferred.
- Experience with Canadian employment practices and legislation in multiple provinces. Certification in Canadian human resources management preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of work experience in a human resources generalist position.
- Demonstrated experience of working with multiple key stakeholders. Previous experience in a matrix reporting environment preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in meeting strategic objectives for HR and the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage HR core processes such as employee relations, talent management, learning and development, compensation, succession planning, and colleague engagement.
- Experience with an HRMS/HRIS is required, SAP and/or BambooHR is preferred.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills to make sound business decisions and evidence-based recommendations to senior management.
- Provide outstanding customer service skills, including the ability to communicate and engage with all levels from employees through senior management, to inspire trust and confidence.
- Demonstrated ability in maintaining confidentiality, privacy and using professional discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills as well as proficient presentation skills.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required. Demonstrated advanced skills and training preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Canadian employment standards, occupational health and safety, AODA, other relevant laws with ability to interpret and implement personnel related legislation.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and has a solution focused approach, combined with adaptability and resilience in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and ability to prioritize changing needs and requests.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and other development/training opportunities
- Health and Wellness Benefits (private and additional health coverage, life, disability, in addition to many other offerings)
- Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Matching
- Generous Time Off Policy
- Culture of volunteerism, community, charity, and sustainability
- Work-life balance including seasonal flexible hours
- Colleague discounts through various corporate partnerships
Informa is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Informa Canada Inc. is committed to ensuring that our environment is barrier-free to all persons, employees and clients alike, as we believe in equal opportunity. In the spirit of this philosophy, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants with disabilities in the interview and assessment process. If you need assistance during the selection process, please contact us at HR@informacanada.com with details.
Want to learn more about Informa and what makes us a great company? Check out the links below!