Director, Human Resources for City of Brampton
WE’RE BUILDING CHANGE IN BRAMPTON
We serve one of the youngest, fastest growing and most diverse cities in the country. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus that is aiming high and thinking bigger. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building a vibrant community that ignites opportunity and instills pride in the people who live and work here. Brampton is in the midst of transforming, out in front, as a pioneer of suburban excellence. Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity and agility. We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited and empowered to deliver results for Brampton, and beyond.
The Director of Human Resources is a key leadership role responsible for providing strategic direction and advice to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and people leaders on the City’s portfolio of Human Resources. The successful candidate will help shape the strategic direction of the organization enabling the success of each business area. You will also be required to transform and improve programs and services offered by Human Resources to better facilitate the success of clients across the City. This leader is guided by clear values, ethics and is adept at building strong relationships and is valued as a trusted advisor. The Director will promote organizational capacity through an engaged culture that supports a high performing, collaborative, customer focused and values driven organization.
The Director of Human Resources has oversight and accountability over a broad portfolio of employee and labour relations, health, safety and wellness, compensation and benefits, talent acquisition, organizational development and learning, client services, integrated disability management, innovation, integration and administration. With the corporate focus and a requirement for rapid progress and constructive change, this role has a core accountability, in conjunction with city leadership and the business units, for helping develop the people plan and strategies, and the supportive HR programs, policies and practices that will achieve this future state. The leader will achieve strategic outcomes by challenging existing practices and programs and identifying innovative and cost-effective ways to accelerate progress.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Build a modern Human Resources team vision, business model, and culture to service strategic and operational needs. This involves development of positive and relevant stakeholder relationships and building an approach where HR is recognized as a strategic advisor, business partner and support service within the City and its departments. It also requires establishing practical enabling solutions and programs; building a high quality of advice and foundational services and administration; improving the pace of solutions and service delivery; high professional and ethical standards related to advice, solutions and services; adherence to legal regulations and City standards, and enhancement of the HR team knowledge and expertise to support knowledge-based delivery of solutions and services. Critical to the success of the above will be enhanced HR project management, information management, management systems, work processes, and data analytics to improve decision support, prioritization, planning, workflow and service to clients.
- Building the City’s people strategy, programs and services in collaboration with leadership ensuring the City can plan, grow, and develop into a world leader. This includes providing leadership with support in designing and implementing the City’s people strategy and developing practical people strategies, plans, programs, and foundational policies and services and approaches to support the City’s vison and strategy. Expected outcomes include fostering a culture of responsive, engaged, and empowered employees and service delivery that is productive, efficient and customer focused.
- Lead talent assessment and succession planning to support the City’s growth. Assess cross organization leadership, management and staffing capabilities and develop a talent development road map to address gaps and leverage opportunities. Design and coordinate plans and implement processes to support talent acquisition, development, orientation and retention of leadership and employees for now and into the future.
- Building and sustaining collaborative and trusting partnerships with all core stakeholders. This is a high visibility role centred around establishing relationships and partnerships with leaders, employees, community organizations, educational institutions, unions and other tiers of government that enable integration and advocacy for people matters across the City. This role leads broad engagement of stakeholders to provide a voice in shaping the HR vision, approach and services delivery.
- Enhancing change management and risk management related to human resources matters. This includes providing balanced advice, enabling leaders to manage and mitigate risk with a strong inclination toward a solution mindset; helping design, facilitate, implement and communicate organization and process changes.
Experience, Approach, Knowledge and Education:
- 10 years proven senior change leadership capability and experience in helping design/develop and implement a complex, cross organizational change plans which has involved significant political and/or board involvement, senior leadership involvement, union participation, diverse business objectives and agendas, and where cultural change as well as improved organization performance has resulted.
- Experience in a complex growing municipal/ public sector environment or equivalent organization in the private sector with extensive involvement and exposure to labour relations in these environments will be essential.
- Experience and connection with diverse and dynamic communities and stakeholders. Brings a unique skill set that demonstrates a deep understanding of diversity and inclusion practices based on previous experience.
- High levels of political / organizational acumen and proven capability in developing strong and effective working partnerships, rapport and relationships with senior leaders, all manner of teams, diverse stakeholders, councils and with bargaining agents.
- Experience with matters from strategic to operational to administrative and modern change management, human resources, diversity approaches and organizational improvement systems, methods and technologies is essential.
- Proven track record and ability to connect, mentor and build a dynamic human resources team that is results driven, solution focused and enables results for the business.
- A developed business and strategic mind set, knowledge and capability, a people orientation, bias to action, and an integrative, facilitative, collaborative and team based, outcome focused approach to supporting rapid organizational change and transformation.
- High levels of personal accountability, objectivity, integrity, openness and transparency, and an ability to build respectful and effective relationships within complex community and public sector environment.
- High energy, a strong work ethic, resiliency, versatility and flexibility to deal with many changes and disruptions, and to lead with purpose and urgency.
- Post-secondary degree or in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field. HR designation is highly desired and considered an asset.
The City of Brampton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise WMC of accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
The City of Brampton offers competitive compensation along with a benefits plan, pension plan and professional development.
Are you ready?
We look forward to meeting you.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact WMC directly. Any communication and information received will be treated confidentially.