Passive House Canada is Canada’s non-profit professional association and community of experts advancing Passive House (Passivhaus) high performance buildings throughout Canada.
Passive House Canada’s mission is to transform Canada’s built environment, creating more comfortable and healthier buildings, and contributing to a sustainable future. We do this through advocacy, education, events and by fostering a community of interest. Passive House Canada is the Canadian affiliate of the International Passive House Association and works with government, industry and consumers in achieving its mission.
The head office is in Victoria, BC, with staff located in Vancouver and Toronto plus instructors, members and partners across the country. Passive House Canada offers services and programs in all parts of Canada.
Reporting to the CEO and working with 13 other staff plus volunteers, the HR/Operations Manager will support our growing organization by managing the staff and operations of the organization. Central to this role is the capacity to manage our rapidly expanding and diverse workforce distributed across the country. As part of Canada’s national buildings strategy, performance requirements for buildings are rapidly improving, growing the demand for our services. That demand is met by a cohesive team of skilled individuals. It is anticipated Passive House Canada will have offices and staff in several additional locations in the coming years. Preparing the organization for and managing that growth is the core function of the HR/Operations Manager, particularly as it relates to human resource management.
The position is anticipated to evolve, initially requiring a broad range of responsibilities becoming more focused on human resource management as additional staff are hired. The successful applicant will be a human resource professional, but also familiar with typical privacy, expense, IT, facilities and administrative policies and legal requirements and be able to manage those areas, even if not expert in them.
Although the position is based in Victoria, BC, our programs and services are delivered across the country. Being comfortable working with a distributed team is required. Proficiency in both French and English is a clear asset and an ability to engage with people and work in a rapidly developing environment is essential.
The successful applicant will demonstrate experience being innovative and taking initiative, and the ability to prioritize activities and work without supervision. Knowledge of the Passive House standard is not required but an interest learning about sustainable buildings and a passion for a greener future is a must!
- All aspects of human resource management, including recruitment and retention policies and strategies. These responsibilities will include developing and implementing a recruitment and retention plan, job descriptions, recruitment processes and employment review practices.
- Advise on pay and other remuneration issues, including promotion and benefits.
- Manage and maintain employee benefit programs.
- Promote equality and diversity as part of the culture of the organization.
- Support employee communication with the management team.
- Maintain employee and workplace privacy.
- Manage daily operations and helping to develop organizational systems to ensure effective operation of the organization and compliance with policies, laws and contracts.
- Organize and prepare agenda for weekly team meetings to ensure team activities are aligned.
- Oversee the purchase and maintenance of IT systems and issues related to office premises and lease.
- Act as the organization’s Chief Privacy Officer.
- Manage two direct reports, an administrative coordinator and a bookkeeper/accountant.
- Assist with other duties as may be required from time to time, particularly when other team members are absent.
Skills/ Experience Required:
- Be a Certified Human Resource Leader or have an equivalent professional designation and capacity.
- At least 5 years’ experience in human resource management.
- Management experience of common organizational HR, privacy and operational policies and relevant laws.
- Integrity and approachability, to ensure employees feel able to discuss sensitive and confidential issues.
- Proficiency in French is a clear asset.
- Organized, efficient, self-reliant, able to manage multiple tasks.
- Proficiency with MS office and comfortable working with and making decisions in relation to IT systems.
- An understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, and cash flow management.
- Ability to work and engage with a wide range of people and to handle a leadership role.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- An interest in sustainability and high performance buildings.