Director, Total Rewards and Compensation (14-month contract)
MLSE is one of North America’s leading providers of unimaginable experiences. We are the parent company of the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), and LIVE. Our talented group of professionals are accountable for delivering everything our teams need to win. At the end of the day, our mission is simple: bring the world to its feet.
Reporting to the VP, Human Resources, the Director, Total Rewards is the rewards leader accountable for the research, design development, implementation, maintenance and communication of the Company’s total rewards programs (cash and non-cash) for all employees. This position also oversees responsibility for the organization’s HRIS, Workday. This is a 14-month mat leave coverage contract with benefits.
- Design and implement total reward programs including compensation, benefit and pension programs; evaluate and revise programs in accordance with organizational business strategy, changes in policy direction and trend analysis.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on all areas of total rewards and provide thoughtful analysis, research and recommendations to HR Business Partners and/or Business Unit Managers.
- Develop quarterly presentation materials for the HR Committee of the Board of Directors; liaise with and/or present total reward recommendations to senior executives and/or Board members as required.
- Review compensation competitiveness by overseeing annual market studies and provide recommendations to ensure that pay practices are internally aligned and externally market competitive.
- Oversee job evaluation process to maintain integrity of MLSE compensation structure and position management
- In conjunction with Finance leadership, lead the annual total reward business planning process to ensure thoughtful and accurate budget planning related to organizational headcount, salary merit budget, and annual bonus administration. Lead and manage the administration of annual salary and bonus payout processes.
- Design and manage MLSE’s corporate and business unit incentive plans, including target calibration and range setting, performance tracking and reporting, and payout calibration/administration.
- Monitor and manage health and retirement plans and cost, such as medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, retirement plans, STD/LTD and WSIB.
- Manage outsourced programs and vendor relationships for benefits packages to ensure programs meet employee needs.
- Monitor existing vendor relationships for performance; identify cost savings opportunities and assure accurate payments.
- Ensure that all compensation, benefit and pension practices adhere to provincial standards and guidelines; stay abreast of legislative and industry changes/trends and adopt and implement as needed.
- Develop and execute communication strategies related to all aspects of total rewards to facilitate employee understanding.
- Lead special projects related to total rewards, as required.
- Lead the strategic vision and project roadmap related to the continued development and implementation of relevant business processes and transactions within the HRIS system, WorkDay
- Ensure the integrity of all data and processes managed by the system and oversee troubleshooting and issue resolution, as needed.
- Develop thoughtful reporting and analytical tools, including user dashboards, to leverage HR data and inform business decision making.
- Engage with HR leadership, Business Unit leaders and employees to understand end user requirements and develop implementation action plans to enhance the end user experience.
- Manage multiple stakeholder relationships across the business to ensure the HRIS is well integrated with other systems and processes.
- Lead training initiatives for HR users or end users, as required, to facilitate continued system adoption.
- Assess the ROI of the system and ensure maximum value is realized from the technological investment.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in Human Resource, Finance, or Business preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience managing compensation, pension and benefits in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have experience leading a team of total reward professionals.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in overall compensation and benefits analysis and management. Project management experience within total rewards and HRIS is a definite asset.
- Expertise with Workday functionality is a definite asset.
- Experience in developing Board of Director presentation materials and high level of business acumen to liaise with senior executives and Board members.
- Strong understanding of job evaluation principles and methodology including build and implementation
- Experience with contract management and management of complex health or insurance plans provided by external vendors.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian and US health and benefits programs, sick pay (STD/LTD), WSIB and retirement plans, etc.
- Knowledge of laws as they relate to compensation and benefits.
- Knowledge of current best practices in Human Resources administration, salary trends, etc.
- Strong writing, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Able to handle confidential information in an ethical manner.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Able to respond to situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Sr. Compensation Analyst
- HRIS Manager
- Pension/Benefits Specialist
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and/or you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com.