Benefits Associate (Temporary)
1 day left
- Designations Required/Preferred
Benefits Associate (Temporary)
Faculty/Department: Human Resources
Employee Group: Administrative
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus)
Reference #: 18/A/16
Hiring Range: $65,392.51 - $69,479.54
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $65,392.51 - $81,740.64
Application Details: This is a temporary replacement position that may continue up until October 15, 2019.
Reporting to Manager, Compensation, Pension and Benefits, the Benefits Associate provides confidential, administrative and analytical support to the Pension & Benefits team, in accordance with collective agreements, benefit plans, terms and conditions of employment, and related legislation. This includes: Support Staff benefit enrolment, data input and maintenance of benefits information (i.e. new hires, master data changes, terminations) in HRIS, records management, and ensuring transfer deadlines between HR and Payroll are met. The incumbent also has sole responsibility for maintenance of PeopleSoft benefit administration, reconciliation of Sun Life Plan Sponsor Services (PSS) to PeopleSoft Benefit enrolments, and is backup to HRIS for the administration of absence reporting. The Associate is also responsible for customer service and communication to employees on plan benefits and eligibility, and develops special reports and analyses for decision making or compliance tracking.
Additionally, the Benefits Associate processes step progressions for full-time Academic and Support Staff employees and coordinates and/or participates in special projects, and communications such as: benefits statements, employee orientation, overage dependent and over-age verification process, and distribution of various pension/benefits communications to the Sheridan community.
- Executes bi-weekly benefit audits and analyses; provides direction for required Sun Life record updates and corrects PeopleSoft benefit records or cost calculation errors, prior to payroll processing deadlines;
- Analyzes, calculates and verifies correct benefit deductions in PeopleSoft and processes benefit deduction adjustments in PeopleSoft bi-weekly;
- Collaborates with Payroll and Pension and Benefits Specialists to research discrepancies or resolve employee record issues and for analysis and resolution of processing issues; performs root cause analyses;
- Manages workflow for set up of pre-approved payment processing and tracking for partial load bridging, leaves without pay, long term disability, retirees and survivors. Identifies errors, enters manual adjustments as required, and performs subsequent adjustments to reconcile outstanding payments with the account;
- Develops HRIS and Excel reports to assess and report on items such as vested accumulation sick days for Support Staff and Faculty as well as Partial Load accumulated (sick accrual) hours;
- Participates in the identification, planning and implementation of ongoing HRIS and benefit process improvement initiatives and introduction of best practices; Requests HRIS modifications to existing reports with detailed data requirements to serve the needs of Pension and Benefits activities;
- Responsible for entering benefit enrolments and termination information into HRIS for all employee groups, i.e. regular record set up and processing for all new hires and terminations;
- Maintains accurate employee files and electronic records in HRIS and ensures compliance with policies, procedures, plan documents, collective agreements and appropriate regulations; Ensures employee record and paperwork is complete, accurate, and on-time; Documents and processes applicable and relevant personal information for employee benefits in accordance with established policies, procedures and regulations;
- Responds to internal and external benefit inquiries verbally or in writing and provides employees with information or guidance. Proactively identifies and responds to customer needs; ensures timely resolution of issues and continuous improvement of service; resolves problems without escalation where possible and uses good judgement to determine which inquiries should be referred elsewhere;
- Develops special reports for mailings or email communications to plan members to ensure records are displayed correctly. This includes preparation and analysis of data for mail merges;
- Delivers individual benefits orientation sessions for Support Staff and assists in Faculty group enrolment sessions;
- Acts as backup to HR Records Analyst function regarding Absence Reporting – including bi-weekly processing;
- Facilitates the reconciliation of vacation balance payouts and approvals from Managers when there is a regular resignation or termination;
- Completes monthly full time Faculty and Support Staff step progressions;
- Performs other initiatives, projects and duties as required.
- The successful candidate will possess a 3 year diploma/degree in Human Resources, Payroll, Accounting, or a related field.
- HR, Payroll, or Benefit related certification(s) are preferred (examples: CHRP – Certified HR Professional, CEBS – Certified Employee Benefits Specialist, or PCP – Payroll Compliance Practitioner).
- Formal training or experience in PeopleSoft or other similar ERP systems is an asset.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with HR practices, benefit/pension plans and processes is required, along with pension and benefits knowledge – including knowledge of trends and developments in benefits and employment practices/legislation (e.g. Pension/Benefits Act, EI Act, ESA, Human Rights Code, Freedom of Information, etc.).
- The successful candidate will also possess:
- Payroll knowledge, including current payroll legislation (e.g. taxable benefits).
- Strong technical aptitude and experience working with high volumes of HRIS data – experience developing reports and analytics with high standard of accuracy and attention to detail (e.g. for reconciliations).
- Basic financial accounting and reconciliation experience.
- Current Office technology and applications - Advanced Excel (required); Intermediate Word.
- Research and problem solving skills. Experience with interpretation of terms and conditions, and collective agreements.
- Customer service orientation and experience – including reception or phone experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organization, and time management skills are required. The successful candidate shows initiative and the ability to work independently while maintaining a high level of confidentiality, discretion, and diplomacy. Experience with mail merge communications is an asset.
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com