Labour Relations Manager
Aramark Canada HR team is hiring for a Labour Relations Manager to lead the labour relations for Aramark’s Western and Eastern Canada Region. Bilingualism with fluency in English and French will be considered as an ideal profile.
Location: Ideally this position will be based in our Regional head office in Montreal, however for the right candidate location could be flexible.
Reporting to the National Director - Labour Relations, this position is responsible for all labour relations matters in a designated region(s). The Regional Labour Relations Manager will be the chief spokesperson in contract negotiations and is responsible for plan planning, negotiating, and implementing collective bargaining agreement renewals. This position pro-actively interacts with and advises operations managers and regional leadership on a broad range of labour relations matters, including disciplinary actions and contract administration. The Regional Labour Relations Manager will also address union organizing activity, delivering labour relations training and support to managers and field HR as necessary. This position is responsible for approximately 45 collective bargaining agreements across Aramark Canada’s Western & Eastern regions.
- Identifies and resolves labour relations problems that might adversely affect Aramark.
- Works with site management and senior operational leadership to obtain alignment on negotiations strategy and to establish and recommend negotiation mandates and accruals.
- Prepares and negotiates renewal collective bargaining agreements in accordance with an approved mandate. Drafts contract proposals and counter-proposals and prepares agreement for final signature by the parties.
- Prepares and calculates cost models of proposals and negotiated agreements.
- Responsible for the ongoing administration and negotiations of a portfolio of approximately 45 Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Advises line management in the interpretation and administration of their collective agreements.
- Investigates, attempts to resolve and/or settle grievances prior to labour arbitration where appropriate.
- Prepares for and assists local management in dealing with potential labour disputes, strikes and other concerted activity, including advising local management on appropriate course of action involving satisfactory resolution of disputes, along with other related matters such as security, client and employee considerations.
- Formulates and makes recommendations to National Director – Labour Relations on company responses to union organizing drives.
- Participates in labour arbitration hearings and provincial labour board proceedings. Responsible for keeping Regional Human Resources Director and National Labour Relations Director apprised of specific events.
- Responsible for assisting line management and human resources in the disposition of unfair labour practice charges filed before provincial labour boards. Responsible for investigating, conciliating, negotiating, resolving and or settling unfair labour practice charges.
- Reviews and comments to line management on the labour relations implications resulting from changes in company organization and bidding on or soliciting new business involving contract services.
- Represents line management in dealing and working with labour union officials, provincial labour board representatives, and provincial labour mediators and outside labour counsel.
- Analyzes economic and labour relations trends. Makes recommendations for changes in policies and procedures.
- Interfaces pro-actively with Senior Corporate Management and Senior Union Officials to anticipate potential labour relations problems. Interfaces with all levels of corporate and component management and union officials on routine or urgent matters.
- Develops, recommends, implements, coordinates and evaluates sound personnel policies and programs for hourly employees who are not covered by a collective bargaining agreement where union activity may be suspected.
- Trains site management on how to effectively manage in unionized environments, effective grievance management, recognition of union organizing drives and other labour relations matters.
- Conducts and or participates in formal and informal meetings to advise or instruct management on new developments in Labour Relations and preventive labour relations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in Labour Relations, business or equivalent)
- Bilingualism with fluency in English and French will be considered as an ideal profile
- 5 to 10 years as an HR Generalist with 3 years Labour Relations experience
- Must have labour negotiations experience
- Demonstrated and thorough knowledge of principles, practices, regulations and applicable provincial laws relating to labour relations and employment standards.
- Proven ability to demonstrate objectivity, sensitivity and a balanced perspective when resolving labour issues
- Strong detail orientation in preparing, analyzing and producing comprehensive reports on labour issues, trends, resolutions and opportunities for improvement
- Demonstrated track record of success
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills required
- Must be willing to travel (25% of time)
Please note all candidates considered for hire will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
More searches like this
- Automotive Services Labour / Employee / Industrial Relations Supervisor, Officer, Lead 71,000 - 90,000 jobs in Alberta
- Educational Institutions and Services - Post-Secondary Labour / Employee / Industrial Relations Supervisor, Officer, Lead 71,000 - 90,000 jobs in Alberta
- Educational Institutions and Services - Secondary Labour / Employee / Industrial Relations Supervisor, Officer, Lead 71,000 - 90,000 jobs in Alberta
- Government and Public Sector Agencies / Commissions Labour / Employee / Industrial Relations Supervisor, Officer, Lead 71,000 - 90,000 jobs in Alberta
- Health and Social Services Labour / Employee / Industrial Relations Supervisor, Officer, Lead 71,000 - 90,000 jobs in Alberta