Human Resources Advisor
Terrapure Environmental is a leading Canadian provider of professional, cost-effective environmental services and recycling solutions that help address industry’s complex environmental challenges. Headquartered in Burlington, Ont., Terrapure employs 1,000 people and operates an integrated network of over 30 government-regulated facilities from coast to coast.
With an unwavering focus on health and safety excellence, the company provides services that minimize waste and maximize the recovery or recycling of valuable industrial by-products through its facility network and on customer sites. This includes a used lubricating oil re-refinery in North Vancouver, B.C.; Canada’s largest lead-acid battery recycling facility in Ville Ste-Catherine, Que.; an engineered non-hazardous industrial waste landfill in Stoney Creek, Ont.; as well as operations that reduce costs and enhance the environmental sustainability of industry sectors, including automotive, chemical and petro-chemical, manufacturing, marine, mining, municipal, pulp and paper, and transportation.
For more information, visit www.terrapureenv.com
We are currently seeking a dynamic and experienced HR Advisor to join our team. Reporting to the department Manager, the HR Advisor will provide generalist human resources support to their assigned client group. The HR Advisor has responsibility for identifying organizational needs and developing, delivering, administering and monitoring the effectiveness of human resource initiatives. Service is delivered in a fashion that builds organizational capacity and supports a competitive business advantage for the organization. Coaching and guidance provided is aligned with Terrapure’s values and philosophy. The ideal candidate will have strong business sense which allows them to anticipate, understand and provide business solutions in the areas of staffing, employee relations, labour relations, training, disability management, compensation and other key areas of HR.
- Partner with assigned client groups to provide HR coaching to managers
- Provide direction, assistance and coaching in recruitment, selection, resource planning and retention activities
- Review employee relations matters and provide guidance and counsel to managers
- Engage with legal counsel where applicable on HR litigation matters
- Communicate HR policies, programs, procedures and practices to support organizational strategies and objectives
- Provide advice and counsel to management regarding collective agreement administration and the resolution of employee and labour relations issues
- Act as spokesperson regarding labour relations processes, particularly collective agreement and grievance administration
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with union represenatives to manage grievances and address employee and/or management concerns
- Working with third party disability management providers, monitor claims and support return to work initiatives for workers compensation and disability absences
- Act as a resource and subject matter expert to managers through the annual performance and salary review processes
- Deliver or facilitate presentations, training and HR programs
- Assist with onboarding and integration as it relates to organizational mergers and acquisitions
- Anticipate client group requirements and provide high quality customer service in a timely and accurate manner to managers and employees
- Work closely with the Human Resources / Payroll team and Terrapure’s leadership to identify organizational needs for the purpose of defining and delivering HR strategies
- Participate as a key project team member for annual HR project initiatives
- Identify and evaluate changes in industry practices and business trends and capitalize on opportunities that will improve the company’s competitive position
- Develop and foster the organization’s culture to build the climate for success
- Monitor and advise on legislative and/or corporate policy issues in HR matters, ensuring compliance and providing guidance related to regulatory requirements
Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources or related discipline required. CHRL designation preferred
- Increasingly responsible experience in a similar HR Advisor role at the senior level with at least six years of experience
- Industrial and/or manufacturing background is preferred; in particular, exposure to field operations
- Experience in labour relations ideal
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly develop and maintain strong working relationships with team members and operational and corporate client groups
- Excellent problem solving skills to recommend and communicate viable solutions to complex issues
- Experience implementing successful conflict management strategies
- Proven interpersonal skills in the areas of coaching and mentoring at a managerial level
- Strong analytical and research abilities to ensure recommendations are based on objective data and legislative requirements
- Ability to deliver on project-oriented objectives, including design, documentation, communication and implementation of new employee programs
- Previous experience working successfully in an independent fashion
- Organized and self-starting, with high personal expectations regarding quality of work
- Flexible to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances, having a high tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty
- Demonstrated business acumen skills to understand the business and related human resource requirements
- Experience with continuous / process improvement and process mapping an asset
- Bilingual English/French an asset
- Ability to travel within Canada up to 20% of the time; with up to one week away per trip
Terrapure Environmental is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment without discrimination and employ personnel without regard to race, age, gender, or any other protected ground. Our philosophy is to provide fair and equal employment and development opportunities for our employees based on skills and capability.
Terrapure Environmental provides applicants and employees with reasonable accommodation upon request, as may be required.
How to Apply
Please submit your application on-line under Careers at http://www.terrapureenv.com
Thank you for your interest but only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.