Human Resources Consultant
Working under the direction of the Manager, People Services, and as a member of the People Services team, the Human Resources Consultant (HRC) provides a complete range of proactive and responsive human resource services in a team consultation environment. The HRC is responsible for managing the day-to-day delivery of human resource services to an assigned client group and is a known, supportive and available resource to the leadership team, employees, and internal and external stakeholders of Brockville General Hospital.
This HRC role provides specific advice and support in the areas of employee and labour relations, recruitment & selection, benefits & compensation, performance and attendance management, legal compliance, collective agreements, accommodations, workforce planning, succession planning, organization policies and procedures and other strategic HR initiatives. The HRC is accountable for coordination and/or implementation of departmental projects and activities that support the vision, mission and strategic direction of the Hospital.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree with specialty in Human Resources or Labour Relations or related field is required
- CHR designation preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a variety of Human Resources functions in a unionized environment
- Recent related experience in a unionized environment developing and interpreting policies, collective agreements and relevant legislation, grievance handling, mediation/arbitration proceedings (health care experience preferred)
- Extensive knowledge of employment legislation and current employment best practices
- Strong technical knowledge including: Microsoft Office suite, HR Information System, internet applications
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a team member and process leader through collaboration, respect, diplomacy and effective communication with stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to be able to present ideas/positions one-to-one, in informal meetings, presentations/training sessions, formal proceedings (grievances) with internal and external Hospital clients and stakeholders
- Passion for excellence, demonstrated ability to influence, outstanding problem solving abilities, experience with the consultative model of providing human resource service, experience with facilitation, conflict resolution and change management is highly desirable
- Strong organizational, leadership skills, interviewing and presentation skills
- Ability to deal with conflict and potentially adversarial situations in a professional, respectful and competent manner
- Proven ability to work in a team environment combined with excellent customer service skills, with the strong ability to show initiative and work independently
- Analytical skills to be able to effectively problem solve and identify options for consideration, weighing impacts on staff, management, labour relations climate
- Demonstrated aptitude for efficient data collection and organization and attention to accuracy when working with detailed information
- Demonstrated ability to work with sensitive matters and confidential information and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work effectively, manage multiple priorities and meet and/or negotiate deadlines and deliverables in a busy environment with multiple competing demands from a variety of clients and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the position
- Good attendance and availability required