Manager, Human Resources
Unionville Home Society is a not-for-profit charitable organization located in Unionville that has provided leadership in service to seniors since 1967. On a 19-acre campus, Unionville Home Society and its affiliate corporations operates a long-term care home, seniors’ rental housing, a community centre and a life-lease building. In addition, it provides community support services such as adult day programs and geriatric assessment services. The campus of care is a vibrant environment and our vision is to develop a progressive community where older adults thrive; aging well and living better.
Reporting to Administrator, Human Resources Manager is accountable for all areas of HR including the implementing of human resources strategy, employee/labour relations, administration of human resources policies and procedures, compensation and benefits administration, recruitment and retention strategy, succession planning, employee development and health and safety practices. The incumbent is responsible for adherence to the respective regulations and relevant legislation including but not limited to the ESA, the LRA, OHRC, OHSA, PEA, WSIA, the MHLTA and Regulations 2007, and the Home’s mission and policies. This also includes promoting and fostering services that reflects the values and preferences of clients and is in keeping with the mission, vision and values of Unionville Home Society.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develops annual objectives for the HR Department in consultation with Administrator and managers
- Provides support and expertise to department Managers in all areas of HR including employee relations, performance management, compensation, retention, employee development and succession planning
- Reviews, updates and develops human resources policies and procedures manuals
- Develops performance indicators and establishes benchmarks for the human resources area
- Participates in collective bargaining and oversees the grievance process
- Attends labour management meetings and provides advice on matters related to the Collective Agreement
- Ensures the Company follows all legislative requirements and terms of Collective Agreement
- Leads investigations into employee complaints such as harassment and workplace violence
- Develops goals and objectives to manage the recruitment and retention, policies and procedures
- Oversees the recruitment process; ensures offer of employment to new hires and transfers are within company standards and the collective agreement
- Establishes a human resources planning process to ensure future staffing requirements and succession planning
- Develops and maintains a fair and equitable salary administration program;
- Provides consultation on benefit programs to all employees and manages STD, LTD and all leaves
- Conducts job analysis and job evaluation of each position and ensures pay equity compliance
- Develops and monitors Human Resources budget and operate within the department’s budget
- Develops and implements training schedule in Surge Learning for both compulsory and general interest programs, ensuring in-service programs are accessible to employees on all shifts
- Manages and Monitors WSIB program.
- Ensures the provision of monthly orientation for new hires prior to their start date with Union Villa
- Improves staff engagement and motivation by recommending Staff Recognition initiatives, improvements to working conditions, and added incentives.
Qualifications, Credentials & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR Management or related discipline. CHRL designation.
- 10 years senior management experience in a unionized long-term care facility
- Extensive knowledge of Human Resources best practice and current employment legislation
- Outstanding organizational skills to manage competing timetables and responsibilities
- Sound judgement and problem solving skills; Proven leadership capabilities
- Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills/customer focused approach
- Exercise confidentiality in all matters pertaining to the organization
- Empathetic attitude and desire to contribute towards the wellbeing of the elderly
- Strong documentation skills and strong attention to details
- Proficiency in computers – Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Learning Management Systems, and Scheduling Software
This is a full time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. May have to use own transportation at times. Interested candidates should submit their resume to email@example.com. Unionville Home Society is committed to diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Applications must be willing to undergo a vulnerable sector police check and TB test as part of the hiring process.