Human Resources/Labour Relations Specialist
Human Resources/Labour Relations Specialist
peopleCare strives to be the recognized leader in what long-term care should be by building on the momentum of attracting and following through on opportunities; harnessing vitality and freshness across all our sites and their communications, and ensuring that we bring our people with us.
peopleCare has been awarded one of Canada's best-managed companies three years in a row. We are one of the most engaged and committed employee workforces in Canada. Every person touched by our service is treated with care and respect; with an emphasis on independence, wellness, recognition, education and mentoring.
Our people look and act with skills, knowledge and positive attitude, both internally and externally, befitting the quality customer service of a peopleCare team member. We have a passion to consistently exceed resident, family and coworkers expectations. Our people will change the world of senior living.
These are exciting times at peopleCare! We are growing exponentially as we expand our horizons and open up a new world of opportunities for our dedicated and committed be part of changing the world of Senior Living!
What is the role?
We are looking for a detail-oriented labor relations specialist with a passion for creating a fair, positive working environment and facilitating communication between employees and managers.
If you’re the successful candidate you will have a chance to create comprehensive labour contracts that ensure effective performance while upholding our company’s commitment to valuing every employee.
We know how important our employee are to our success, and we encourage our team to be innovated in finding new ways to resolve disputes and improve cooperation between managers and employees through our labour relation practices.
- Subject matter expert in labour relations, advising leadership teams and executive directors in the interpretation and implementation of local and central collective agreements, employment legislation, labour relations developments, employment standards, and human rights in Ontario ect.
- Represent the organization at grievances, mediations, arbitrations, and collective bargaining
- Building and maintaining strong relationships and partnerships with union partners, clients and stakeholders
- Partnering with HR leaders, business leaders, and legal counsel on matters proceeding to mediation/arbitration
- Monitor and track letters of understanding and analyze and identify trends (e.g. types of grievances, settlements, union priorities) to assist with management decision-making and collective bargaining
- Develop and deliver education programs for home leadership teams and provide guidance in LR processes and management
- Support HR Strategic Projects
- Provide advice and guidance to management as needed during labor relations contract negotiations, including drafting proposals and facilitating meetings with union representatives
- Oversee collective bargaining procedures, including drafting, reviewing and modifying proposals, verifying legal contract terminology and suggesting additional rules and regulations as necessary
- Communicate effectively with managers, executive directors daily to create positive working environment, address employee grievances and verify compliance with contractual protocols
- Analyze current work contracts and human resources policies to determine overall state of employee relations and make innovative changes to improve morale, efficiency and overall performance
- Manage labor grievances as needed by investigating circumstances of incident, validity of claims, adherence to contract policies and completion of resolution procedures
- Coordinate with home leadership teams and other departments to create and sustain positive employee relations and facilitate effective communications between employees and leadership teams.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or labour relations or related field
- Minimum 5-year experience in human resources or employee relations
- Strong decision-making skills with ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Exceptional verbal and written communications abilities with conflict resolution experience
- Detail-oriented and focused on delivering results
- Professional training in labour relations or collective bargaining
- Healthcare sector experience preferred