Talent Acquisition & Human Resources Specialist
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our over 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a Talent Acquisition & Human Resources Specialist and this role will be reporting to the Manager, Employee Relations & Talent Management. This position is responsible staff recruitment, staff exit interviews and Human Resources events. This can also include coaching managers and staff to resolve issues and provide support in Human Resources policy and procedure updates.
Manages all aspects of staff recruitment including:
- Actively attract and qualify permanent, contract and future pipeline candidates
- Consult on talent acquisition activities, best practices, candidates sourcing and recruitment strategies that support the goals and direction of the Firm
- Foster relationships and develop networks of high caliber professionals
- Develop actionable sourcing strategies which enable the attainment of business hiring plans requirements
- Partner with hiring managers to understand current and future requirements, including strategic discussion regarding options for filling vacancies
- Act as a brand ambassador, building and communicating the firm's employee value proposition
- Leveraging internal talent sources to drive mobility, employee referrals, and alumni engagement
- Identifying, researching and implementing pre-hire assessment tools
- Continually reviewing and improving processes; learning best practices and integrating within Osler
- Co-ordinate and manage all specific recruitment initiatives with staff including:
- Co-ordinating requisite management approvals
- Determining recruitment and search strategy with hiring managers and guiding them through each phase of the recruitment process
- Screening candidate applications and providing recommendations and reports
- Manage relationships with agencies, and educational institutions
- Performing phone and Skype interviews with candidates
- Making hiring recommendations to hiring managers
- Coordinate and manage the in-person interview process
- Acts as a point of contact for managers and candidates
- Manage the transfer and promotion process including drafting letters, ensuring necessary paperwork is complete and supporting the hiring manager
- Provide an exceptional first day experience for new hires incorporating best practices
- Deliver and develop orientation material and presentation
- Act as a point of contact for all new hires during the entire on-boarding process
Applicant Tracking System
- Administer and own data for the Applicant Tracking System:
- Liaise with system vendors and assists in development, configuration, functionality and implementation of upgrades
- Train clients on new processes/functionality
- Utilizing the applicant tracking system to actively track, manage and report on candidate pipelines to enhance stakeholder communication and ensure effective process management
- Provide feedback and input for process improvement and efficiencies
Project Work and Related Duties:
- Plans, organizes and leads Human Resources events, such as Take Your Kid to Work Day, College Firm Tours and Summer Student Lunch, Honour Student Lunch
- Involved in research for the drafting/modification of Human Resources policies, procedures and forms Supports any resulting implementation and communication activities as a result
- Support routine staff relations matters by listening, coaching, counselling and making recommendations (after conferring with Manager)
- Conducts and records exit interviews for Toronto staff, notifies manager of trends and issues
- Responds to inquiries from other offices and provides assistance when required
- Provides back up support for the Human Resources & Partnership Administration Coordinator, in his/her absence and on the occasion of a high volume of work
- Other projects as assigned
Education and Experience
Post secondary education in a related business discipline and completion of courses towards a Human Resources certificate/designation with at least three years HR experience, ideally, within a professional services organization. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience is acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- 3+ years in Recruitment or Talent Acquisition
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Human Resources, in staffing and recruitment
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships including confidential and tactful manner
- Experience maintaining and administering an Applicant Tracking System
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills; warm, inviting and engaging
- Strong relationship-building and networking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication and active listening skills
- Knowledge of all relevant provincial employment acts, such as the Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Act and Employment Equity Act
- Knowledge of HR practices and ability to develop procedures related to recruiting, on-boarding and employee relations
- Proficiency with computers including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.