Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
We are seeking a Payroll Specialist to join our Markham office. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the full-cycle payroll processing of a multi-province, bi-weekly payroll for 1000 employees. This role includes managing data from multiple stakeholders across the Firm, input, track and manage information in the HRIS and Payroll system, creating reports and performing various payroll administrative related duties. The Payroll Specialist works to ensure external vendors and provincial and federal government agencies receive the required information and remittances in a timely manner and delivers service excellence in the execution of responsibilities, working in a collaborative team environment with the highest ethical standards of a certified payroll professional.
In this role, you will be tasked to:
- Process multi province payroll for two companies, 12 offices and approximately 1000 salaried, hourly and contract employees, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Verify payroll source documents from each location.
- Manage HRIS/Payroll lifecycle of all employees, including new hires, terminations, promotions, changes, ROE’s. Maintain calculation tables for Maternity Top-up, STD and Salary Continuance.
- Update benefits and deductions.
- Interface data into Payroll system, audit registers and reports, making corrections to ensure all data is accurate. Strong analytical and attention to detail ensuring accurate payroll.
- Calculating and inputting manual cheques as required.
- Administration of payroll system updates, payroll reports and project related payroll matters.
- Reconciliation of LTD on a monthly basis.
- Processes monthly/quarterly remittances to various 3rd party providers.
- Reconciliation and timely remittance of bi-weekly RRSP employee contributions.
- Preparation of journal entries and reconciliation of tax forms.
- Responsible for filing and record keeping of all payroll related materials.
- Research and respond to payroll inquiries.
- Prepare letters of confirmation of employment.
4. Customer Service
- Responding to various employee and third party queries in a timely manner.
- Communicating information in a respectful professional manner.
- Manages client expectations and takes responsibility to enhance service excellence throughout every interaction.
5. Special Projects
- Working collaboratively with national Talent team on special projects and sharing of best practices as required.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- College Diploma in Business or a related field with 5 years payroll experience, preferably with a national scope. Canadian Payroll Association certified.
- Proficient knowledge of employment legislation and payroll practices across multiple provinces.
- Strong technical abilities and knowledge of HRIS and payroll systems, preferably UltiPro
- Excellent attention to detail and communication skills
- Organized and able to manage responsibilities with frequent interruptions
- Collaborative and supports the greater Total Rewards and Talent Management team as required.
- Strong personal ownership and accountability along with ability to adapt to changing conditions and environment
- Strong relationship builder and ability to manage relationships
Interested candidates can submit their applications via the below link:
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.