Director, People Services
Reporting to the EVP, People and Organizational Development, the new Director, People Services will provide leadership to support the ongoing development of our strategic directions and will support the alignment required at all levels to achieve those goals. The Director will be responsible for providing strategic HR advice and leading edge supports and services to enable all people to realize their potential. This position will be accountable for the critically important functions of people services for employees and volunteers, including labour relations, attendance promotion, recruitment, volunteer services, compensation and benefits and employee health, safety and wellness.
The Director builds a team committed to excellence and customer service and promotes a culture characterized by personal responsibility and accountability, collaboration and professional and ethical conduct.
- leads the organization in designing and implementing key HR strategies and practices necessary to attract, manage, engage and retain a superior workforce and aligned with the purpose, vision and values of NH. Programs are aligned with legislation and based on best industry practice.
- provides leadership to a diverse and skilled team of human resources professionals skilled in management and service delivery.
- supports the achievement of the goals of the HR plan by leading key initiatives and aligning organizational activity to them.
- evaluates and expands approaches to recruitment of a highly talented workforce and cultivates a compelling employer brand for NH, both inside and outside the walls of the hospital, aligning all aspects of the organization around the vision and values of the organization.
- modernizes the approach to HR service delivery and transforms HR policies and processes to establish reliable, efficient and easy-to-use services that leverage data and analytics to support decision making, better anticipate workforce needs and expand access to services, enabled by HR information technology and HR processes. Looks for synergies between areas of accountability to streamline processes and improve access.
- enables a positive labour relations climate working effectively with our bargaining agent partners and managers.
- partners with HR managers and Organization Development to drive performance through analysis and performance improvement methodologies
- provides ongoing stewardship to the organizational design of NH, ensuring organizational structures support effective decision-making and high performance.
- provides strategic oversight to a fair, competitive total rewards program that is also cost effective and compliant with legislative requirements and aligned with collective agreements.
- ensures ongoing risk identification, evaluation and monitoring.
- oversees fiscal responsibility for the function and supports the organization’s fiscal plans.
- continuously develops direct reports, using a collaborative leadership style with an emphasis on coaching, mentoring and leadership
The Director, People Services assumes other responsibilities as assigned.
The Director, People Services will be an exceptional, inclusive and visionary leader, with a pragmatic, common sense approach. The individual must have a proven track record in a successful health system or complex public sector leadership role.
The ideal candidate will possess an optimal combination of the following competencies, skills and attributes.
- Experience in a healthcare, large public sector or other complex environments, with sound knowledge of key areas of human resources, e.g. recruitment, rewards, labour relations, occupational health and safety, HR services. Experience implementing programs in a complex organization.
- Knowledge of strategic and operational planning, health care system, marketing, financial and cost analysis and trends in the health care industry.
- Strong, well developed business management skills (strategic planning, budgeting, resource allocation
- and analytics).
- Proven leadership and team building skills with a personal presence that inspires confidence and credibility at all levels of NH.
- Proven success in gaining credibility and building trust with senior decision-makers.
- Ability to influence outcomes and balance competing interests.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possesses a high capacity for developing respectful and supportive interpersonal relationships. Ability to build effective working relationships with a dynamic, professional team
- Superior listening skills.
- Leads by example within the organization and demonstrates accountability for his/her personal behaviours and practices.
- Proven conflict resolution and mediation skills
- Tact and diplomacy to be able to operate with sensitive issues and politically charged environment
- Customer-oriented focus with a commitment to excellence.
- Results Driven
- Ability to identify bold solutions to complex problems and is able to capitalize upon new ideas, tools and technology.
- Demonstrates leadership in executing plans in partnership with various stakeholders.
- Superior analytical, problem solving and project management skills.
- Sound Judgment
- Able to balance risks with knowledge and wisdom. Bases all decisions on the well-being of patients and families, fiscally sound practices and the organization’s vision and strategic goals.
- Strong conceptual skills; systems thinking and ability to deal with ambiguity
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Organization Development or a related field.
- Ten plus years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources or a related field.
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations.