Senior Human Resources Consultant // Human Resources Consultant
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to becoming Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we’re working towards a people first culture and we're proud to have been selected as one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers and one of Greater Toronto's Top Employer for 2015, 2016, and 2017. To learn more about our work environment and innovative educational environment, visit http://www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR, and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
The HR Consulting unit is a team of human resources experts and innovators who contribute to the achievement of Ryerson University's strategic priorities. We partner with our clients to create and deliver outstanding practical and strategic human resource solutions, programs and services that enhance workplace culture, engagement and inclusion. You can find out more about our people first philosophy and values by reading about who we are and what we do online.
Ryerson’s unionized environment is complex, requiring big picture, outside-the- box thinkers. We welcome applications for the following positions:
- Senior HR Consultant for a full-time opportunity.
- Senior HR Consultant for a 10-month term opportunity.
- HR Consultant for a 14-month term opportunity.
The successful candidates will have extensive labour relations and generalist experience and a firm understanding of employment regulation, case law, policy, and recruitment principles and practices. You will build relationships with clients at all levels of the university to help them see policy and collective agreements not as barriers, but as frameworks for solutions. You will be the strategic business partner assigned to particular departments and/or faculties. You will analyze and diagnose the needs of the business in order to implement HR best practice and to know when to engage your functional expert colleagues. Collaboration will be key to finding solutions for your clients.
The senior HR consultant and HR consultant will partner with clients and provide advice on the following issues:
- Employee and labour relations
- Recruitment and retention
- Interpretation and application of legislative and university policies
- Organizational design
- Learning, change and transition
- Performance management, including corrective action, discipline, and conflict resolution
- Organizational development including diagnosing and addressing underlying issues.
Ready to contribute to a culture of innovation and transformation where equity, diversity and inclusion are at its core? Please provide a resume and cover letter about how you meet the following specific qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in Business (HR), Industrial Relations, Public Administration or Social Sciences.
- 5-7+ years’ experience in a large, unionized organization is a must. Preference is given to experience in academic, public sector or para-public sector organizations.
- Completion of CHRL or an equivalent is also preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills to develop and deliver projects, tools and resources.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with constantly changing schedules and priorities.
- Proactive in anticipating clients’ needs and expectations in order to deliver comprehensive and high quality service.
To apply for any of the opportunities, please visit our career site at ryerson.ca/jobs.