Human Resources Manager
McMillan is seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our dynamic National Human Resources team in the Toronto office. Reporting to the National Director, Human Resources, your focus will be on managing the life cycle of various HR processes and projects in a variety of areas including talent management and development, compensation, legislative compliance and employee engagement. The role will play an active role in employee relations, providing strategic support and guidance to operations managers on various HR matters as required. The successful candidate will have a mindset of continuous improvement, leverage technology, resources and people to deliver exceptional service and best in class talent management and HR programs.
What You’ll do
- Oversee and manage national performance management process including developing new performance management tools and systems as the needs of the firm evolve and change.
- Oversee and manage compensation structure and process for all professional staff including pay equity compliance, participation in compensation surveys, analysis of market trends.
- Directly coach, lead and mentor three direct reports – Human Resources Specialist, Human Resources Coordinator, Ottawa Office Administrator and provide informal support to the national HR team as needed. This role will actively provide direction and support on all HR matters in our Ottawa office and Montreal offices as required.
- As a senior HR professional and resource, provide coaching and guidance on a wide variety of HR issues to operations managers as required.
- Assist in the development of HR policies, processes and guidelines, ensuring and staying on top of legislative compliance.
- Oversee the firm’s disability management programs for all professional staff including short term disability adjudication, return to work programs and accommodation plans.
- Work closely with the national payroll team to facilitate payroll administrative matters including salary adjustments, position changes, new hires/departures, contract terms, alternative work arrangement etc.
- In conjunction with our Learning and Development team, develop and facilitate leadership training programs for management teams.
- Play an active role in spearheading and championing inclusion and diversity initiatives including overseeing national diversity day celebrations, staff affinity group support, mental health initiatives and accessibility programs
- Conduct orientation sessions for various employee groups including summer law and articling students and professional staff and lawyers as required.
- Oversee the off-boarding process for all professional staff, including final pay matters, conducting exit interviews and analyzing results.
- Prepare and analyze HR metrics, identifying trends, action plans as required
- Lead a variety of HR projects and initiatives preparing detailed projects plans, budgets, project facilitation and execution and collaboration with other HR team members as appropriate. Participate in various national firm projects and champion new firm initiatives.
What You’ll Bring
You have established HR work experience with a minimum of 7 years experience in a human resources generalist role. You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or completed a post-graduate human resources program. In addition, a CHRP/CHRL and prior work in a professional services environment (e.g. legal, accounting, engineering) will be considered an asset. You will also be able to demonstrate your prior supervisory and/or management experience.
You pride yourself on your high energy, strong leadership, coaching, facilitation and relationship management skills. Fostering a positive work environment is important to you as you develop, coach and motivate others. Your communication skills are above par as well as your ability to partner and communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, build relationships of trust and mutual respect, facilitate group discussions and interact with people at all levels of the organizational with tact, diplomacy and in a professional manner. You thrive in your ability to resolve problems effectively exercising creative and analytical thinking and sound judgement.
You have exceptional project management skills and take advantage of the various technologies, including an HRIS to be a results-driven manager. You have advanced capabilities of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. These technical skills help you to work well under pressure and juggle multiple priorities to meet regular deadlines.
McMillan Offers You
Mentorship and Support
Commitment to Learning
Commensurate Compensation and Benefits Package
Fun Work Environment
McMillan = You
Inclusion and diversity are essential elements of our culture at McMillan which coincides with our core values of respect, teamwork, commitment, client service and professional excellence. We are extremely proud to be one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People three years in a row.
At McMillan, we know we will achieve the most success by attracting and retaining the best talent, and by representing and supporting communities from which we draw our members, the communities in which we live and work and the communities to which we provide legal services.
We are a law firm that prides itself in sustained quality and excellence in service while fostering a positive and collegial work environment which nurtures mentoring inspires enthusiasm and professional excellence. We commit to putting our best efforts forward in achieving our goals, and the goals of our clients. You can help us in that journey!
Need another reason to consider McMillan? Let’s work together to help you achieve your professional goals and career development.
Let’s get started
If this position is you, and you reside in or around the Toronto area, we look forward to hearing from you. Please apply with a combined cover letter and resume. Click on the Apply Now button.
McMillan is committed to providing accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please email us or contact us at 1.888.622.4624 to submit your accommodation request.