HR Business Partner - Health & Safety Lead
Purpose of Position:
Accountable for providing a full range of strategic human resources advice and services to an assigned portfolio of clients in support of overall Human Resources strategies, programs, policies and initiatives and commitment to customer service.
As the Health and Safety Lead, accountable for providing expertise, coordination and support on FSRA benefits, health and safety matters.
· Provides portfolio-based strategic human advice to FSRA management for the delivery of customer service focused human resource programs, services, and support to meet the diverse and unique requirements of a new organization with a range of human resource needs.
· As a committed Business Partner to an assigned portfolio, identifies and translates client business needs to effective human resource solutions in such areas as: interpretation and application of human resources policies, applicable legislation and collective agreements; guidance and support in day to day human resources issues management, and information on total compensation; health and safety; and workforce planning, and recruitment.
· Provides support and guidance to assigned portfolio leaders on organizational and job design, and provides advice and options on implementation decisions
· As the FSRA Health and Safety Lead, provides specialized expertise and oversight of benefits, health and safety programs and leads and/or acts as a resource to Health and Safety Committees to ensure FSRA is in compliance with all federal and provincial Health and Safety legislation and regulations (e.g., Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations) to ensure the safety, health and welfare of its employees. Provides advice to FSRA executive team and Board of Directors on Health and Safety obligations.
· Develops and manages working relationships with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board regarding insurance claims, the development of accommodation plans and employee return to work programs, and resolution of short and long term disability issues
· Works with legal experts to seek legal opinion and support as necessary for the interpretation and application of related legislation and conduct of health and safety inspections, orders and complex WSIB, benefits, return to work, short and long term disability matters.
· Provides coaching and training to clients on a range of human resources programs and initiatives to ensure compliance and adherence to health and safety legislative requirements and regulations.
· Acts as the key interface between FSRA management and Human Resources specialists in labour relations, compensation, workforce planning, recruitment, and organizational development to seek specialized advice and partner in the resolution of business specific HR issues.
· Provides project leadership, coordination and/or participation in the planning, research and introduction of human resource programs, services, policies and continuous improvement initiatives including the development of tools, policies, supports and processes for the introduction of innovative best practices to support critical change for a modern and flexible work environment
· Leads /participates on internal Human Resources Committees and prepares presentations/briefings, as required for the Director or Chief Human Resources Officer for submission to the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors.
· Works in collaboration with colleagues across Human Resources on department priorities for FSRA
Education and Experience
· Degree/Diploma in Human Resources or related field.
· 5 – 7 years’ experience in the provision of a full range of human resources programs, advisory services and support.
· Specialized experience in health and safety including the interpretation and application of legislative requirements and regulations, management of benefits, Health and Safety programs and oversight of WSIB and benefits matters in a unionized environment.
Knowledge and Skills
· Knowledge and expertise in human resource theories, principles and best practices.
· Knowledge and interpretative understanding of relevant legislation (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety, Ontario Human Rights Code, WSIB, Employment Standards Act) and initiatives which impact on human resource programs and services in a broad public sector environment.
· Proven customer service and partnership skills and a committed team player.
· Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
Effort – Physical/Sensory Demands
Work involves minimal physical effort normally associated with a corporate office environment. There is flexibility to change work activities, take a break or alter work position.
Normal office environment with no unusual or unpleasant conditions, with periods of high demands requiring long hours.