Purpose of Position:
Accountable for providing payroll expertise and services in support of overall Human Resources Department strategies, programs, policies and initiatives and commitment to customer service.
Provides payroll expertise, consultative advice and services to FSRA management and staff, including but not limited to: support in the completion of end to end payroll, benefits and pensions transactions, required deductions, payroll earnings. Collaborates with the team to provide information on benefits and pension entitlements. Interprets and applies FSRA policies, programs, processes and practices, Collective Agreements and related legislation to payroll. Responds to related inquiries as required. Processes bi-weekly payroll, ensuring compliance with all applicable payroll statutory and legislative requirements, FSRA policies and procedures and Collective Agreements. Reviews payroll pre-processing reports prior to transmission and post payroll reports to ensure accuracy of all information and to analyze and resolve discrepancies with appropriate staff. · Reviews formal employee change requests and Workday workflows submitted by Managers and Human Resources colleagues to ensure accuracy, appropriate authorizations, and compliance with Collective Agreements, Employment Standards Act and payroll control policies.
· Conducts a variety of manual payroll calculations (e.g., merits, severances, pensions, retroactive payments) and prepares all year-end processes such as annual payroll reconciliation, year- end pension reporting.
· Participates on process improvement projects in Workday to improve, streamline and automate manual workflows.
· Ensures compliance with various tax and revenue agency requirements including assisting in the calculation of source deductions, employer taxes, and preparation of year-end statements and reconciliation of all earnings and taxable benefits.
· Coordinates out-of-cycle, quarterly and year-end variable compensation/salary/bonus payments, participates with year-end audit and responding to queries by the auditors
· Works with the Manager, Payroll in the research and development of tools, policies, supports and processes for the introduction of innovative best practices in the area of payroll to support critical change for a modern and flexible work environment.
· Works in collaboration with colleagues across Human Resources on department priorities for FSRA.
· Works in collaboration with HR, Finance and other departments across FSRA to support reporting and audit requirements on a regular basis.
Works in collaboration with HR, Pension and Benefits providers to ensure strong relationships for accurate and high-quality programs and services
Education and Experience
· Certification as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) gained through relevant college diploma.
· 5 years’ experience in processing payroll, using Workday or a similar system in a multi-union environment with multiple collective agreements and compensation structures
· Specialized experience in providing end to end payroll services within an evolving organization.
Knowledge and Skills
· Knowledge of, and expertise in standard payroll principles, practices and legislative requirements
· Knowledge and skills to interpret and apply Collective Agreements and federal and provincial legislation in respond to payroll inquiries and to ensure proper reporting and reconciliation processes.
· Proficiency in the use and capabilities of various computerized payroll systems (e.g. Workday) and the full range of MS Office.
· Arithmetic skills to perform a variety of manual payroll related calculations (e.g., merits, severances, pensions, retroactive payments, year-end reconciliations and reporting).
· Proven customer service and partnership skills and a committed team player
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Effort – Physical/Sensory Demands
Work involves minimal physical effort normally associated with a corporate office environment. There is flexibility to change work activities, take a break or alter work position.
Normal office environment with no unusual or unpleasant conditions, with periods of high demands requiring long hours.