Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources Specialist
Thunder Bay Police Service is a mid-sized Ontario service located in Northwestern Ontario serving the communities of Thunder Bay and Oliver Paipoonge with approximately 330 Sworn and Civilian members.
We require an experienced Human Resources professional for the position of Human Resources Specialist.
As a member of the Senior Command team, the successful candidate will be responsible for organizing, planning and directing the functions of the Human Resources Unit. Primary responsibilities include:
- The recruitment and selection of police officers and cadets, Special Constables, Civilian members and student employees including outreach initiatives.
- Co-ordination of the internal job competitions processes.
- Providing advice and guidance to senior staff and members on a number of human resources issues including compensation and benefits, interpretation of collective agreements, pay equity, disability management, etc.
- Co-ordinating the disability claims process in accordance with WSIB legislation and agreements with insurance carriers. This involves working closely with the Service’s Branch Commanders as well as with City of Thunder Bay human resources staff and includes overseeing the processing of claims, arranging for members’ return to work programs, co-ordinating the Attendance Management program, and providing information on absenteeism.
- Developing and maintaining job descriptions and preparing job postings and advertisements.
- Supervising and developing support staff.
Candidates will possess a degree or diploma in human resources and a human resources professional designation with a minimum of six to eight years’ experience in recruitment, labour relations, and organizational development. Excellent written and oral communications, interpersonal and analytical skills are required. The ability to work with minimal direction is essential. Experience in a police environment is a definite asset.
Conditions of Employment:
Must undergo a successful police records check – type 2 and sign and abide by an Employee Confidentiality statement.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume referencing the position title electronically to the attention of Angela Nelli at Angela.Nelli@thunderbaypolice.ca or by mail to the Office of the Chief of Police, Thunder Bay Police Service, 1200 Balmoral Street, Thunder Bay, ON, P7B 5Z5 by Friday, March 29, 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.