Officer, Staffing and Recruiting
Position: Officer, Staffing and Recruiting
Salary Range: $33.89 per hour plus 4% vacation pay – Band 5
Location: Human Resources, J.W. Singleton Education Centre
Work Schedule: 35 hours/week, 12 months/year
Effective Date: May 31, 2019 up to and including December 7, 2020
Reporting to the Staffing & Recruiting Supervisor, the Staffing and Recruiting Officer is responsible for staffing, recruiting and employee onboarding functions for assigned employee groups. This position provides support and customer service to applicants, employees and hiring managers, and ensures that recruitment, selection, and staffing processes are compliant with the Board’s collective agreements, terms and conditions of employment, Ministry of Education, and relevant employment legislation and regulations.
- Responsible for the staffing, recruiting, and employee onboarding functions for assigned employee groups, ensuring compliance with the staffing provisions and timelines set out in the collective agreements, terms and conditions of employment, and Board policies administrative procedures
- Provides direction and support to school administrators and hiring managers on matters relating to staffing and recruiting including the staffing processes for assigned employee groups, compliance with the collective agreements and terms and conditions of employment, and best-practices regarding recruitment and selection
- Provides support and customer service to applicants, employees and hiring managers with respect to the Board’s recruitment, selection, and staffing functions, business processes and workflow
- Works with the Human Resources Manager(s) to implement and release staffing allocations, ensuring compliance with ministry funding, board annual budgets, contractual and legislative obligations
- Identifies appropriate posting venue(s) to reach targeted applicant pool in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Creates job postings for internal and external vacancies. Works with the hiring department/school to ensure that postings are reflective of hiring needs and to ensure postings meet Board criteria and guidelines
- Participates as a member of the interview team during selection processes
- Leads and facilitates group and individual orientation sessions for new hires for assigned employee groups, ensuring that all required pre-employment documentation has been submitted and reviewed
- Attends job and career fairs, and facilitates interview skills workshops at Universities and Colleges and related events scheduled outside regular business hours
- University degree in the area of Business, Human Resources, or a related field
- Five (5) years of experience in human resources
- Two (2) or more years of experience in staffing and recruiting in a unionized work environment preferred
- CHRP/CHRL designation, or in progress
- CRHL designation and/or Registered Professional Recruiter (RPR) designation preferred
- Knowledge of relevant employment legislation and regulations, such as the Employment Standards Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and Regulation 274-12.
- Experience with Applicant Management Systems and Human Resources Information Systems
- Knowledge of current recruitment and selection standards and best practices
- Ability to work in complex, detail oriented, high volume work environments
- Service orientation with a passion for continuous improvement and innovation
- Ability to work as a collaborative team member
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office and Google Suite Applications)
- Commitment to personal and professional development
- Bilingualism (English/French) is preferred
Applications, along with your resume and other supporting documents must be submitted through Apply to Education – www.applytoeducation.com by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, March 19, 2019.
Job Category: Management & Professionals - Job Code # 2658368
We thank all applicants for their interest in opportunities with the Halton District School Board. Contact will only be made with those who are shortlisted for an interview.
The Halton District School Board recognizes for students and staff the principles and intents contained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code for the Province of Ontario, believes that every person has a right to equitable treatment with respect to the educational process, or service and employment within the Halton District School Board without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, same-sex partnership status, family status or disability. We will make any reasonable accommodations, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process. We will also provide employment accommodations (i.e. an accessible location) if we are advised of an applicant’s needs in advance of any part of the selection process.
External Candidates hired to the Halton District School Board must provide a valid Criminal Background Check with vulnerable sector screening prior to beginning employment.