Health & Safety Specialist
Health and Safety Specialist - (1) Full Time
DEPARTMENT/CAMPUS: Occupational Health and Safety – Peel Memorial Integrated Health and Wellness
HOURS: Full time - Days, Monday to Friday
(Subject to change in accordance with operational requirements).
TRAVEL: Must have reliable vehicle as position requires travel between multiple sites.
POSTING NUMBER: OSLER06676
Reporting to the Manager, Occupational Health and Safety, the Specialist will work closely with the Occupational Health and team including abilities management specialist and occupational nurses. The Occupational Health & Safety Specialist will have corporate accountability for Occupational Health & Safety programs and will support William Osler Health System in the development and on-going improvement of its health and safety program. The successful candidate will have passion and commitment to health and safety with the proven ability to make decisions to optimize safety, build positive relationships amongst internal/external stakeholders and thrive in a fast pasted multi-site organization.
- Act as a resource and SME to management in health and safety related matters.
- Facilitate organizational compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and regulations and implementation of best practices.
- Track workplace incidents/illness for reporting and statistical analysis. Create and maintain safety database on incident trends, training, performance indicators, etc.
- Direct and review the analysis of incident and injury data, identifying gaps to support a continual improvement plan to develop or enhance existing safety programs.
- Utilize incident trends and conduct risk assessments to facilitate implementation of control measures to prevent work-related injuries and illnesses.
- Provide consultation, guidance and support in the completion of workplace investigations to determine root cause, and oversee the recommendations to prevent a reoccurrence optimizing workplace health and safety.
- In consultation with the Manager, actively participate and support multiple JHSC's and designated workers
- Provide regular metrics reports to the Director.
- Establish and conduct continual improvement safety audits, documentation, and recommendation for improvement or acknowledge of success including construction projects.
- Review and revise occupational health & safety policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Source and request appropriate health and safety supplies and PPE as required.
- Liaise with managers and supervisors of other departments to coordinate inter-department activities and provide feedback regarding inter-related department issues
- Coordinate and conduct on-site Personal protective equipment training, including respirator-fit testing
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational safety activities with departments
- Research occupational safety information to support methods and equipment to minimize workplace hazards
- Contribute to promoting a healthy & safe culture
- Minimum Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or Undergraduate Degree in health sciences or a related discipline required, Master degree in Occupational Health or Public Health an asset
- Current registration or working toward with CRSP (BCRSP), CHSC (CSSE) or CIH (AIHA) required
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience in Occupational Health in similar role, preferably in large health care environment
- Excellent knowledge of Health & Safety relevant legislation including Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Compensation Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and applicable regulations
- Joint Health & Safety Committee Member Certification (renewed as appropriate) required; up to date CPR/First Aid and Mental Health First Aid required; or ability to obtain
- Strong presentation skills to facilitate and deliver occupational health and safety training
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent conflict resolution and human relation skills, and be proficient in MS Office and Parklane as asset
- Team and service oriented leader with an aptitude for working in a collegial and collaborative environment across disciplines/departments/programs
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically/conceptually and make decisions
- Demonstrated thoroughness, organization and accuracy; record keeping able to withstand legal scrutiny
- Detail orientated, well organized and able to manage time and multi-task to accomplish a variety of tasks, sometimes with conflicting priorities and timelines
- Proven consultation, interpretative and investigative skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment meeting multiple demands and changing priorities
- Ability to organize work and set priorities, plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate departmental goals and objectives
- Ability to set, interpret, and apply policies, regulations and directives;
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, work well under the pressure of deadlines, show good judgment, persuasiveness and discretion, show flexibility and initiative;
- Ability to adjust to rapidly changing priorities
- Demonstrated commitment to our READI values of Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Diversity and Inclusive
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We encourage applicants from diverse background. We are committed to proving accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility Ontario Disability Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
While we thank all applicant, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose
*Please note that only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted
**In order to be considered for this position, you must include a current resume or detailed qualifications summary with your application
Please apply online at: www.williamoslerhs.ca or forward your resume to