Career Development and Relationship Manager (II)
The DeGroote’s Student Experience team supports all students at the DeGroote School of Business – MBA, BCom, specialized graduate programs and PhD students.
As an integrated team, we champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually todeliver a consistent and inspiring student experience.
Our school’s culture is captured by three values: Generosity, Innovation and Collaboration.
As part of Student Experience, the Career and Professional Development team delivers innovative excellence in three key areas: Career Development,
Strategic Employer Partnerships and Experiential Learning, supporting more than 2300 Commerce and over 500 MBA students each year and up to 100 Master of Finance students.
There are team members at both the Burlington and Hamilton locations of the business school.
The MBA program attracts more than 130 co-op students and 50 full-time students at the beginning of September each year. The incumbent works directly with these students to support and assist them in their co-op, summer and full-time job searches.
Responsible for planning, organizing and coordinating career development activities and work term, internship, and summer employment opportunities. Promotes student development, success and retention, and encourages career achievement by conducting coaching sessions with students dealing with career choice, educational direction and goal progress. Facilitates the admissions interview process for incoming students and makes the final recommendation for admission into the program. Responsible for supervising temporary and casual employees.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Interview prospective students to assess their suitability and make decisions on admission into the co-operative education program.
- Recruit, train, and manage work study students to ensure that performance expectations are met.
- Write articles for publication in professional trade magazines and marketing materials.
- Negotiate and secure contracts with external vendors for workshops, training, and other activities.
- Complete comprehensive analyses of employment statistics for use in various marketing materials and publications.
- Coordinate and conduct on-site visits with students to discuss work objectives and meet with employers to ensure performance expectations are met, and when required, terminate the employment relationship on behalf of the employer.
- Identify, develop, and cultivate strategic employer relationships in the business community at the municipal, national, and international level.
- Interview employer partners to understand recruitment needs, and employment and career trends.
- Provide individual coaching services and guidance in developing self-marketing and branding tools including, but not limited to, job search strategies, resume critiques, preparation of cover letters and personal statements, interview skills, networking, portfolio development, and negotiation skills.
- Conduct mock interviews by creating specific questions that are relevant to the career path and field of employment students are pursuing, and provide constructive feedback to students.
- Conduct post-work interviews with students to discuss experiences and future goals.
- Write a variety of documents including, but not limited to, career and skill development materials, interview tools, correspondence, and workshop plans.
- Create promotional materials to market the program.
- Create, implement and maintain policies and procedures related to the program and career services offered.
- Facilitate career development workshops and courses preparing students for experiential learning programs including internship and co-operative work terms.
- Plan and coordinate a variety of workshops, seminars and events.
- Gather and review current labour market information and research current trends within professional careers and employment requirements including skill level and comparable salaries offered.
- Invite employers and career experts to post-employment and career networking events.
- Act as a liaison between faculty, staff and students to ensure the timely communication of information and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Participate in meetings with students to discuss and provide guidance regarding individual career options.
- Remain current with employment legislation and government mandates.
Ongoing responsibility for hiring and supervising up to 9 casual employees at any one time.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
Requires 4 years of relevant experience.
- This role will be focused on supporting MBA students with their co-op, summer and full-time job searches and will be located primarily at the Ron Joyce Centre in Burlington with some required work on main campus in Burlington.
- Strong knowledge and/or experience in Finance, Marketing, Operations and/or Consulting sectors are required, including knowledge of on-campus recruitment and career paths.
- Previous experience in an educational environment (career education preferred) or executive recruitment including existing relationships with various organizations within the Finance, Marketing, Operations and/or Consulting sectors.
- Proven coaching and facilitation skills are necessary with preference given to experience coaching diverse student populations.
- •Excellent written and presentation skills are essential.
- Previous experience in developing and teaching workshops, public speaking and managing projects are necessary.
- Proven experience in business marketing and relationship management are essential to success in this role.
- The incumbent must be a self-starter and independent.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize activities and manage stress with a high degree of maturity and professionalism are critical.
- Must be a proven team player with strong collaboration skills.
- Computer literacy is non-negotiable with particular emphasis on CMS; Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; and social media tools.
- Activities outside of normal business hours, especially during peak times of the year, are expected.
- Extensive travel (including overnight trips) is required and may include travel to areas not serviced by public transit. As such, reliable access to transportation is essential.
The Career and Professional Development team works closely with both the Recruitment and Admissions team and the Academic team to ensure a superior student experience for all MBA students.
The Relationship Manager will work as part of a multi-incumbent team to deliver high impact and quality career development services and programs.