Manager, Employee Relations and Recruitment
- Designations Required/Preferred
Help us achieve our vision of building an innovative, caring and vibrant Kitchener.
The City of Kitchener is an exciting and modern public service in the heart of one of Canada’s fastest growing and most successful regions. We are seeking a passionate leader capable of providing strategic direction and expert support in the development and execution of a variety of labour/employee relations strategies.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the successful candidate will:
- Plan, coordinate and execute employee/labour relations strategies, policies, activities and services that are consistent with the City of Kitchener's Strategic Plan, corporate policies, collective agreements and applicable legislation.
- Lead the collaborative development and execution of collective bargaining strategies (including acting as the city's lead negotiator) with the city's six union groups.
- Oversee and participate in the corporation's multi-union grievance and arbitration process, including providing guidance, advice and support in the consistent interpretation and application of collective agreements and corporate policies.
- Lead a talent management strategy, including but not limited to workforce planning, recruiting and staffing, onboarding and orientation, and learning and development.
- Champion the city’s People Plan by developing and fostering effective working partnerships between staff, management and unions.
Who You Are
- You are dedicated to public service and the success of people, first and foremost.
- You know how to influence and build collaborative relationships, operating with a high degree of credibility.
- You are comfortable with change and driven by providing exceptional customer service.
- You embrace innovation, seeking to modernize policies and processes to meet the expectations of a changing workforce.
- You will sharpen our efforts in talent attraction, retention and diversity to ensure Kitchener remains an employer of choice and reflects the community we serve.
What You’ll Bring
The Manager, Employee Relations and Recruitment must have:
- A minimum 4-year degree in a related field such as Human Resources Management, Public/Business Administration, Industrial Relations. Preference will be given to candidates with a related professional designation such as a Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL).
- A minimum 4 years of experience in labour/employee relations with significant experience in contract negotiation and interpretation, as well as the grievance/arbitration process. Preference will be given to candidates with labour/employee relations experience in a municipal government environment.
- Expert knowledge in labour/employee relations principles, practices, trends and related legislation, including but not limited to the Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Act, Pay Equity Act and the Human Rights Code.
- A demonstrated proficiency and commitment to customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to coach, guide, mentor and train individuals with a diverse range of experience and knowledge in labour/employee relations issues - including the development of related training materials.
- Demonstrated skill in facilitation, negotiation, dispute resolution and problem solving.
- Ability to lead diverse teams in the collaborative development and successful achievement of strategic objectives.
- Ability to prepare and make effective presentations to City Council, senior management, unions and other stakeholders.
- An ability to support and project values compatible with the organization and participate as an effective team member.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, visit: www.kitchener.ca/careers
Posting Closing Date: May 21, 2019