Health And Safety Manager
Accountable to the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Manager Health and Safety will create, implement, embed and continuously improve a strategically aligned Health and Safety System to ensure the needs of the business are met . Works with both unionized and non-unionized staff to create a sense of ownership in Health and Safety processes, requirements, corrective actions and solutions, creating an environment of proactive change.
- Lead the Establishment of an Enterprise wide Health and Safety System
Create, implement, embed and continuously improve a proactive health and safety strategy inclusive of an enterprise wide Health and Safety Management System.
Utilize key health and safety metrics to conduct root cause analysis to identify trends and provide recommendations to improve health and safety with focus on prevention.
Identify proactive opportunities for innovation in program development and delivery by researching current and future health and safety industry trends.
Engage in risk mitigation through risk assessment, job safety analysis, incident analysis, safety observations and preventative workplace violence analysis.
In alignment with the business strategy, develop enabling health and safety systems, following 5S systems and compliance requirements.
Provide interactive and evolving hands-on leadership, coaching and mentorship to the Association, as well as to the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JH&SC).
Understand and communicate compliance requirements regarding Occupational Health and Safety legislation, Workplace Safety and Insurance legislation and other applicable laws and regulations.
Review and keep the Health and Safety training program current to ensure proper training is provided for all employees.
Act as a change agent to influence leaders and key stakeholders to engage with health and safety change initiatives.
In conjunction with the business, represent the organization in all interactions with external auditors, inspectors and authorities.
Lead, mentor and take initiatives to further advance the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JH&SC).
- WSIB and Disability Management Processes
Create, implement, embed and continuously evolve proactive initiatives, as means to reduce WSIB occurrences.
Create, implement, embed and continuously evolve wellness initiatives in partnership with the Total Rewards Manager, as means to promote a health and safety work environment.
Liaise with Supervisors/Managers to establish preventative steps that mitigate future injury occurrences.
Oversee all the reporting and documentation required by WSIB within allotted timeframes (Form 7, 9, ROE7, objections, SEIF letters etc.) ensuring policies and procedures are innovative while compliant with regulations.
Engage in the Return to Work and accommodation process as a subject matter expert as required.
- Key Relationships
Ministry of Labour: Represent the Association and informs the Ministry of incidences when necessary.
Joint Health and Safety Committee: Co Chair the committee, provide subject matter expertise on industry trends and influence and mentor the members of the committee.
Senior Leadership: Provide subject matter expertise and communicate recommendations developed through analysis of data.
Supervisors/Managers: Influence need to own Health and Safety as a proactive tool in risk mitigation and reduction of liability. Support with complex issues.
Employees: Communicate ownership of safe work practices and exchange of information not readily understood by the recipient.
- Education & Training
University Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or equivalent.
Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or equivalent is an asset.
Minimum 7 years of progressive experience within Health and Safety inclusive of 3 to 5 years of experience in a Health and Safety leadership role.
- Experience managing workers compensation claims and return to work procedures.
- ISO 22716 experience is an asset.
- Technical Skills & Knowledge
- Proficiency with computers using MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook), and other software programs needed to produce documents, reports, databases, presentations and communication vehicles for staff training and development.
- Expert knowledge and previous experience with Provincial Health and Safety standards
- Proven ability to develop a behaviour-based Health and Safety system from conception through integration.
- Able to self-start, work independently, but also engage with, and function as part of a team.
- Demonstrated results as a participative change agent.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
- Familiar with Health and Safety management frameworks for tracking metrics, action plans, sustainability and training.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Excellent stakeholder relations capabilities.
- Ability to lead change and influence an organization from a position of credibility and competence.
- Strong relationship building and management skills – a change agent and strategic business partner.
- Proven ability to demonstrate self-confidence while balancing both technical and soft skills in influencing the organization.
- Exceptional assessment capability – exemplary understanding of self, people and motivations. Exceptional empathy.
- Understands and embraces the value of an inclusive and diverse workforce where all employees feel valued, respected and understood.
- Ability to professionally handle confidential material and associated issues.
- Working Hours & Work Environment
- Position may require occasional work hours (evenings and weekends) outside the standard Monday to Friday work week on an as needed basis.
- Extensive computer and telephone use (e.g. emails, taking calls from staff).
- Travel locally within the GTA and occasionally to the camp at our Stouffville location
Note: This job description is intended as a guide to reflect the principal functions of the job. It is not an all-inclusive listing of the required job functions. Further, the job description is subject to change at the discretion of management.