Elanco Canada - HR Business Partner
Since we opened our doors in 1954, Elanco’s commitment to animal welfare, animal health, and sustainable agriculture has gone far beyond the products we sell. We are committed to delivering expertise through science-based insights into some of animal health’s most pressing and difficult issues. With a team of 5,800 people worldwide, including leading scientists and researchers, Elanco employs an evidence-based approach to leading a dialogue around relevant, timely topics such as food security, sustainability, disease prevention, pet health, pain management, and responsible use of innovation in food production.
At Elanco, we focus on two causes: food security and the human-animal bond. Both focuses align with our foundational beliefs and our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Our shared-value strategy engages employees, connects with the communities where we live and work, and aims to provide global, sustainable solutions.
This is an exciting time of transformation for Elanco Canada. As announced in March, 2019, Elanco Animal Health has completed its separation from Eli Lilly and Company and we are now building the HR policies, programs and practices that will best serve our needs as an independent, global Animal Health company.
Our Canadian affiliate, located in Guelph, Ontario, is looking for a Human Resources Business Partner for a 12-month contract. Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, Latin America and Canada, with a dotted line to the General Manager, you will join our Canadian Leadership Team, provide HR guidance and support to the Canadian affiliate, and collaborate with our local and global organization to drive the development and implementation of Canadian HR practices and policies. The HR Business Partner will play a key role in supporting our transformation and ensuring that we have the right programs in place for our Canadian team.
HR Business Partnership and member of Canadian Leadership Team:
You will be a trusted advisor to employees and leaders across all aspects of HR including employee relations, performance management, recruiting and staffing, talent management, organization design, engagement, compensation and benefits, learning and career development, while balancing the needs of leadership, employees and the company. Responsibilities include:
- Acting as a single point of contact for employees and managers at the Canadian affiliate
- Partnering with leaders on developing short and long term people strategies, aligned to the affiliate’s strategic priorities.
- Enabling the recruitment, development and retention of talent to meet leadership and technical capabilities needed in the organization.
- Providing strategic HR consulting services to the Canadian Leadership Team on HR programs, practices, policies, legislation and regulatory requirements including interpretation of policy, identification of risk, impact to the business and recommended solutions.
- Guiding and influencing decisions on talent management, including succession planning, assessing candidates, and identification of talent.
- Coaching leaders, continuously supporting their development in managing and leading employees and teams.
- Developing and implementing strategies to enhance employee engagement and foster culture.
- Providing ongoing confidential support and guidance to employees in all areas related to HR including career, engagement, performance management, benefits.
Development and implementation of HR practices and policies:
You will have a critical role in developing and implementing local HR programs for Canada and partnering with the regional and global HR teams to ensure the effective implementation and support of global programs. Responsibilities include:
- Working with your Canadian colleagues (HR, finance, legal, ethics and compliance) to build local Elanco HR policies, programs and practices to best serve the needs of the Canadian employees and business.
- Partnering with regional and global HR functions for the development and implementation of global and regional HR programs (e.g. performance assessment planning, talent management, compensation, payroll etc.) to ensure Canadian needs are considered and to drive the local implementation of regional and global programs.
- Collaborating with shared services and global HR centres of excellence to ensure alignment on HR processes and adapt global/regional services and programs as required to meet local needs
- Work in collaboration with the global HR Services team on payroll administration matters and providing local input and oversight where necessary
- Administering and educating employees regarding benefits and maintaining relationships with providers
- Ensuring compliance with Canadian legal labor and employment environment and maintaining current knowledge of trends, practices and applicable provincial laws and regulations, essential to the professional practice of human resources and organization development in Canada.
Education and Skills:
- University degree or College diploma.
- CHRL designation or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of progressively responsible and related experience in Human Resources including Performance Management, Recruitment, Talent Management, Organization Design, Payroll, Compensation and Benefits principles as well as policies and related legislation.
- Experience and up to date knowledge of Canadian employment laws and legislation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate and engage with all levels from employees through senior management, to inspire trust and confidence.
- High levels of integrity and discretion as working in an environment where confidentiality and sensitivity must be maintained
- Strong project management skills and effective execution skills to ensure successful delivery/implementation of a range of initiatives and programs.
- Experience collaborating with team members and HR centres of excellence partners to define, diagnose and deliver on business challenges/needs
- Enjoy working in a hands-on team and must be flexible in terms of tasks performed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity with a solution focused approach, combined with adaptability and resilience in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and ability to prioritize changing needs and requests.
- Experience with Workday as the HR platform is an asset
- Bilingual (English/French) is an asset