Department: Public Works
Division: Integrated Management Systems & Quality Assurance
Position: Compliance Specialist (OH&S)
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
This position will lead projects related to occupational health & safety (OH&S) and compliance initiatives and support regulatory compliance and maintenance of an integrated management system (quality, environmental, health and safety) called QUEST across Public Works Department services (i.e. water treatment/distribution, wastewater treatment/collection, waste management/collection, road operations, engineering and construction and maintenance).
The successful candidate must have a degree or diploma in occupational health & safety, civil engineering, environmental science or other related program. A professional designation, or ability to qualify for certification, as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH) is an asset. Auditor training or experience along with knowledge of process mapping and continual improvement would be preferred. Knowledge of pertinent legislation and standards is preferred (i.e. Ontario Safe Drinking Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Environmental Protection Act, etc.). Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word and Excel), effective communication, problem resolution and interpersonal skills is required to excel in this collaborative work environment. Knowledge of Visio, management system software, E-Learning software (e.g. Articulate) and learning management systems is also an asset.
Travel will be required; incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
- Provides technical, administrative and analytical expertise to support the Drinking Water Quality Management System (DWQMS), the Quality, Environmental Safety Team (QUEST) Integrated Management System and compliance related to Public Works services.
- Leads projects related to compliance or Occupational Health & Safety initiatives.
- Helps author operational procedures across all Public Works services in support of DWQMS and QUEST. Ensures field documents are up-to-date and accurate.
- Supports the mapping and development of processes for quality control and environmental/OH&S compliance.
- Conducts internal audits of QUEST and DWQMS systems and compliance audits related to environmental and OH&S initiatives and other established Public Works processes.
- Assists in review, preparation and the collection of information required for benchmarking, auditing, inspections and investigations.
- Administers and supports the learning management system software (TRAKS) (i.e. upload of training files and development of training curricula) and management system software (Intelex) (i.e. document creation and migration, staff training and support etc.).
- Compiles data to support QUEST objectives and targets.
- Develops and delivers various training and informational presentations.
- Performs other duties as required.
Posting Expires: May 22, 2019
Posting #: PW-208-19
Apply Online at Halton Job Postings
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.