Human Resources Generalist - contract position
Located in beautiful Kingston, Diamond Hotels Management Inc. owns and operates hotels and restaurants in Kingston and Sault Ste Marie, Ontario including Delta Hotels by Marriott Kingston Waterfront, AquaTerra at the Delta Hotel, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kingston, Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste Marie, and the new Ramada by Wyndham Kingston Hotel and Conference Centre.
We are currently seeking an experienced HR Generalist to fill a maternity leave contract.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager (HRM), you will be responsible for applying business knowledge and HR expertise and assist in providing a wide range of HR support and advice to the entire organization. You will play a key role in the success of the organization by offering guidance on recruitment, terminations, performance and attendance management, employee relations and HR best practices while facilitating a positive relationship between all levels of the organization.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- You will be the primary HR contact providing support to managers and employees in all aspects of the employment relationship. This includes, but not limited to, policy and collective agreement application/interpretation, benefits administration, performance and attendance management, workplace accommodation and employee relations issues, recruitment and health & safety.
- Works with HRM and consults with managers and employees on employee relations issues and problems in order to ensure that employees are fairly and equitably treated and legal guidelines are followed so that the business is protected. Will need to partner with HRM on more complex issues
- Determines the appropriate response to a range of client enquires. Takes all necessary steps to resolve the matter directly and promptly and assesses whether additional resources, research or consultation is needed. Refers issues to HRM for resolution when necessary with comprehensive background information.
- Participates in the conduct of investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth.
- Recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee engagement.
- Advises managers and supervisors about the steps in the progressive discipline process of the company and provide guidance on various employee relations issues.
- Lead hiring managers though the full cycle of the recruitment process from point that a vacancy is identified to the facilitation of the new hire onboarding process
- Participate and as needed lead interviewing panels, providing advice and counsel throughout the interview process
- Facilitate the job posting process and manage applicant tracking through Sage People (HCM System)
- Partner with local and industry agencies utilizing tools and resources available for sourcing and selecting qualified candidates
- Ensure all new hire documentation and training are completed.
- Provide onboarding support to new hires, establishing a relationship as their primary HR contact
Health & Safety
- Act as Co-chair for Health & Safety committees, coordinate meetings, ensuring minutes are distributed, workplace inspections are completed on a monthly basis. You will track and trend workplace injuries, facilitate WSIB claims and the return to work process.
- Work with the HRM and departmental managers on various HR initiatives including: supporting projects, researching best practices and collecting information, drafting policies and procedures, drafting communications and training material, delivering training and providing other administrative support.
- Administer the HCM system, pull data and develop reports. Enters and verifies (auditing) employee data into the system in an accurate and timely manner.
- Drafts employment-related documentation, including but not limited to, employment contracts, disciplinary and performance management letters, investigation reports, etc.
- Tracks and records employment and compliance data and follows up with persons and departments to maintain 100% compliance (example mandatory legislated training, brand training).
- Provide technical support to all staff on HR system issues, providing initial troubleshooting and re-direct more complex matters appropriately.
- Administer group insurance plan, recognition programs, long service, etc.
The above areas of responsibility are not all inclusive and may be amended from time to time.
- Post secondary diploma in Human Resources Management or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years generalist experience, dealing with a wide range of HR issues
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR best practices, Employment Standards, Human Rights, and other applicable employment legislation.
- Must have sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion
- Strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with an ability to adapt and meet the needs of varying individuals and circumstances
- Advanced working level in Word, Excel & various databases with refined ability to manipulate data, and to learn new software and programs.
- Experience working with an HCM system, preferably Sage People
- Ability to prioritize own work and time among several competing priorities.
- Ability to resolve and/or deescalate difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and capable of handling sensitive information in an appropriate manner.
- Understanding of recruitment and selection techniques and how to apply them
To apply, please email your resume and covering letter to:
Jacquelyn Bragdon, Human Resources Manager
Diamond Hotels Management Inc. will make accommodation available to job applicants with disabilities in the recruitment process. During this process, if an applicant requests accommodation, please contact Human Resources at 613-650-5425 and we will consult with the applicant and arrange for a suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.