Human Resources Coordinator
THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF WOODSTOCK
The City of Woodstock is a dynamic and growing community of 41,000 located in the heart of southwestern Ontario at the crossroads of highways 401 and 403. A growing community, Woodstock has kept its small-town flavor while offering the types of amenities typically found only in larger cities. Woodstock has roots in both agriculture and manufacturing; as the recognized Dairy Capital of Canada and as home to Toyota’s second Canadian manufacturing facility. With a skilled workforce, affordable housing and a new community hospital Woodstock truly is a growing city with a lot of rural, small town charm.
Human Resources Coordinator
To be considered, applicants must possess the following qualifications:
- University degree or College diploma with specialization in Human Resources or a related discipline
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in Human Resources, experience in a unionized environment an asset
- Proven organizational skills demonstrating effective time management, accuracy and adaptability
- High degree of integrity and discretion due to exposure to confidential and/or sensitive information
- Knowledge of current legislation affecting Human Resources, i.e. Employment Standards Act, WSIB, Occupational Health & Safety, and Human Rights, etc. an asset
- Excellent computer skills, with experience with MS Office and HRIS software
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to deal with multiple deadlines, frequent interruptions and changing priorities
- Valid driver’s license and the use of a reliable vehicle required for City business.
Drafts a variety of correspondence, memos and reports, many of which are sensitive and highly confidential.
Assists with the full-cycle recruitment process for full time, part time, and summer positions including:
- Revising job postings
- Post positions internally/externally following the process outlined in the collective agreements, using the online Recruit Right system
- Providing assistance and direction to applicants using Recruit Right
- Communicating with Supervisors over interview candidate selection, scheduling, conducting interviews and reference checks
- Preparing offer of employment and new hire packages
- Posting/sending out Successful Candidate notice, and notifying unsuccessful candidates
Provides administrative assistance to the Director of Human Resources, the Manager of Human Resources and the Manager of Health & Safety:
- Coordinates all required documentation of personnel transactions, i.e., new recruits, employee changes, salary benefits, terminations and tracking of probationary period
- Updates personnel files for employees including employment history, training, development, promotions, salary, career advancement, benefits and related correspondence
- Provide direction and assistance to employees with online health/dental claim submissions to Manulife as required
- Process the monthly reconciliation of the benefit plan to ensure the disbursements to individual departments are accurate
- Proof read and assist in review of all policies and procedures
- Track monthly meetings, inspections etc. for the Joint Health & Safety Committees; follow up on missing information and upload to Sharepoint
- Responsible for entering all employee information into the HRIS program including personnel and job specific information, Corporate and Department training records/procedures, as well as following up on missing documentation
- Enrolls new employees in OMERS and Manulife
Maintains filing system and ensures that security and confidentiality practices are observed in the treatment of personnel information; applies tight controls to accessibility of personnel documentation whether in print or computer format (HRIS)
Using the electronic time card system and HRIS, import and export employee attendance by department on a bi-weekly basis at the end of each pay period. Provide assistance to employees and Supervisors relating to information in the e-timecard system (training, data entries, reporting, discrepancies)
Provides information to internal or external inquiries directly, or refers inquiries to the Manager of Human Resources or appropriate staff person, as necessary:
- Handles complaints of employees benefit claims to bring about a solution through direct contact with the benefit carrier
- Coordinates personnel records for all employees as well as related sick leave vacation compensatory and benefit records through HRIS program
- Assists Payroll department with forms and questions relating to OMERS for all staff
- Completes and submit paperwork to OMERS for all retiring employees including Library and Police
- Assists with staff training development and delivery
Has the authority to conduct confidential driver’s license status checks on all employees every six months, or as required, using the Human Resource Department’s direct access to Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) website.
Maintains inventory or purchasing stationary, supplies and equipment at satisfactory levels and recommends the purchase of required materials. Can authorize departmental expenditures to a maximum of $1,000.00
Maintains a high level of sensitivity in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others inside and outside the Corporation.
Coordinates the long service awards, including employee memo distribution, gift selection tracking, ordering and receiving of awards.
Performance Management tracking and follow-up with Department Supervisors.
Maintains a smooth work flow in the absence of the Manager of Human Resources.
Maintains expertise at a high level by attending appropriate training courses and seminars.
Duties and responsibilities will progress with time and experience in the role, with the intent of future role advancement.
Performs other related tasks as assigned.
This is a full-time position working 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Additional hours may be required from time to time to cope with unusual demands and peak periods.
Compensation is $59,138 - $69,563. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
Resumes and cover letters will be received online at http://careers.cityofwoodstock.ca no later than 4:00 p.m. May 30, 2019.
The City of Woodstock is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all candidates who apply, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.