Reporting to the CEO, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for all aspects of Human Resources. The primary objective of this role is to support the growth and success of the Tri-Mach Group by effective management of the Human Resources department; achieved through guiding and supporting Managers and The Ownership Group, ensuring legal and corporate policy compliance, strong employee engagement and retention, employee data integrity, organizational and compensation planning, effective onboarding and relationship building. The Recruitment Manager reports into this role.
Employment Law & Policy Management:
- Accountable for ensuring full compliance with applicable labour laws and keeping abreast of all legislative changes
- Mitigate risk and limit company liabilities through creating, reviewing, implementing, maintaining and communicating well-documented policies and procedures along with ensuring full adherence to all policies
- Consults legal issues ensuring compliance with provincial and federal laws
Recruitment, Onboarding & Training:
- Responsible for the success of the recruitment department and overseeing recruitment activities
- Collaborate with Recruitment Manager to: position the company as a preferred employer, create and implement best-practice recruiting processes, create accurate and detailed job descriptions and KPIs, create and ensure recruitment marketing efforts are strategic, industry specific and successful
- Utilize ADP Workforce Now for all recruiting activities including resume review, communication to prospects, recruitment notes, profile management
- Development of onboarding process, utilizing ADP
- Responsible for new hire education on RRSP and Benefits plans
- Prepares employees for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
Human Resources & Administration:
- Accountable for providing detailed monthly, quarterly and annual reporting
- Accountable for all data integrity in the Human Resources department including maintaining current and historical human resource records, ensuring fast and easy access to all documents and data
- Organize and maintain all personnel records, including: all actions related to the employment relationship, all data is entered into ADP Workforce Now, and all relevant original documents are also kept on file as determined in the document retention policy.
- Monitor, track and report on Human Resources-related statistics (such as revenue per head, retention and attrition rates).
- Maintaining company directory, organizational charts and other administrative tasks
- Administer the Companies’ Apprenticeship Programs and assist employees with registration into the program
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
Communication and Relationship Building:
- Coach and guide managers through the progressive discipline process to address performance that does not meet company expectations, including creation of letters of reprimand and performance improvement plans
- Maintain a confidential, friendly and approachable demeanour, ensuring employees feel comfortable discussing any and all aspects relating to their employment
- Provide Ownership, Managers and Supervisors with advice and support relating to the full lifecycle of the employment relationship
- Ensure regular, positive communication with employees, fostering a positive work culture
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs
- Develop methods for improved employee communication
Compensation, Payroll & Benefits:
- Expedited processing of all new hire packages, ensuring timely completion for payroll submission
- Act as a resources for payroll and advise on all pay matters (employee status, pay entitlements, changes to pay, employment legislation and compliance)
- Provide backup support for payroll coverage and submission during Payroll Coordinator absences
- Provide backup support for benefits enrollment and plan administration
- Develop compensation planning and salary/hourly banding, ensuring market competitiveness and industry benchmarking, suggesting changes when required.
- Manage benefits & disability programs
- Gather information on current engagement levels and bring suggestions for potential improvements
- Develop strong cultural awareness and employee engagement in an effort to increase retention and recruitment, including: establishing, implementing, planning and coordinating employee engagement initiatives (such as education sessions, department activities, corporate challenges)
- Optimize and enhance employee experience
Health & Safety:
- Ensure compliance and adherence to H&S policies
- Provide back-up support for the Health and Safety Coordinator
- Work closely with H&S Coordinator for WSIB claims, including completion and submission of WSIB Form 7
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university.
- CHRL preferred
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, health & safety, preventative labour relations is a mandatory requirement.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years’ related Human Resources experience in a generalist role
- Experience with an HRIS is required; experience with ADP WFN considered an asset
- Ability to uphold corporate culture; collaboration, teamwork, accountability and results
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret extremely complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries / complaints and exercise sound judgement, discretion and tact
- Maintains a high degree of confidentiality and discretion at all times in all situations
- Previous manufacturing experience is preferred
- Experience with multi-trade organization, favourably viewed.
- Would be considered an asset to have multi-site / multi company experience
- Familiarity with HRIS systems, specifically Workforce Now considered an asset
- Knowledge of relevant legislation including payroll, WSIB, OH&S Act, Employment Standards Act and applicable labour law across Ontario and Manitoba
- Familiarity with US Labour Laws and FMLA considered an asset