Title: People Specialist Department:
Reports to: Manager, Executive Office
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is inventing the future of health care with a focus on trauma, cardiac stroke, high-risk pregnancy and newborns and cancer. Sunnybrook Foundation exists to raise the awareness and funds required to ensure that Sunnybrook achieves its mission.
The People Specialist will provide full service HR support & direction to staff, advising and managing the effectiveness of our compensation, recruitment, engagement and performance management strategies. The role requires sound judgment, considerable confidentiality, innovation in approaching business challenges and the ability to communicate and collaborate with senior leadership as a credible and valued business partner. The successful candidate is a highly motivated, detail oriented, energetic, forward-thinking individual with high ethical standards.
- Provide human resources support to all staff as first point of contact for general staff inquiries.
- Manage, identify & drive improvement initiatives on HR programs such as: on-boarding, training, performance management, culture, recruitment, retention and other workplace issues.
- Support & initiate leadership development practices.
- Provide guidance/resolution to managers and employees on employee relations matters.
- Promote understanding of human resources practices and ensure adherence to accepted policies and principles.
- Manage employee compensation, rewards program and pay equity compliance.
- Manage full recruitment cycle for all internal and external vacancies including: development & revision of role profiles, creation of job postings, scheduling and conducting preliminary or secondary interviews and reference checks and onboarding.
- Lead the administration of all Human Resources related programs and activities.
- Coordinate and manage the annual performance review process and annual merit increase process, ensuring all deadlines are met, processes are followed, and communication has occurred.
- Advise managers on full life cycle of performance management including the development of goals, performance measures, related assessments and investigations, monitoring, disciplinary/reward process and termination if necessary.
- Coordinate and manage the Professional Development Program:
- Provide advice and guidance on employee learning and development. Participate on other HR or cross-functional teams and projects as required such as the Employee Recognition Committee and Wellness Committee.
- Act as liaison between Foundation staff and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Payroll and Human Resources departments.
- Manage employee absence tracking and time coding.
- Maintain up to date Employee Handbook and policies.
- Coordinate office moves and liaise with office contractors.
- Coordinate notices, agendas, speakers and all other needs for all staff meetings.
- Coordinate operating systems such as: phones, computers, copiers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and abilities required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Detail oriented and works with a high degree of accuracy
- Highly organized and flexible with the ability to manage multiple priorities, tasks and relationships
- Self directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality at all times
- Working knowledge of email, scheduling, spreadsheets and presentation software
- College or university degree or related experience
- CHRP designation considered an asset
- Minimum 3 years human resources/employee relations support
- Advanced level of initiative and judgment in order to organize and prioritize tasks, workload and projects
- Sound knowledge of HR related principles and best working practices and procedures
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to act as a trusted advisor to the business
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Recent experience in providing administrative support in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodations for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.