Advisor, Employee Relations
Department: CAO’s Office
Division: Human Resources
Position: Advisor, Employee Relations
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
Halton Region is a supportive and rewarding place to work where you will be recognized for your accomplishments and contributions, and encouraged to grow and succeed in your career. We are committed to the delivery of high quality programs and services in support of making Halton Region a great place to live and work. If you are looking to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
If you enjoy being on the front line of an operational client group and, are looking for an opportunity to lead staff, foreseeing potential issues before they occur and coming up with new and innovative ways to be both compliant and engaging, then this is the role for you.
Reporting to the Manager, Employee Relations, you will be a strategic and tactical advisor, a coach and counsellor to front line employees and managers, and will be responsible for providing consulting services, representation, support and advice for labour and employment related matters. You will support the strategic implementation of Human Resources programs to ensure compliance with all employment-related/labour legislation and collective bargaining agreements, and change management while championing a continuous improvement mindset that enables the business to achieve business results. In addition, the Advisor provides leadership and support to direct reports in both Employee Relations and HR Access as the first point of contact in Human Resources.
The ideal candidate for this role will possess:
- University degree or college diploma in Human Resources, Business or another related field.
- At least six (6) years’ labour relations experience in a diverse environment including both union and non-union employees.
- Proficiency in using all Microsoft Office applications.
- Past work experience using Customer Relationship Management Software (Siebel) is an asset.
- Prior supervisory experience would be an asset.
- CHRL designation is considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Effective coaching, mentoring, facilitation, conflict resolution and relationship management skills.
- Strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
- Strong business acumen with a customer orientation and ability to understand and effectively communicate business needs.
- Ability to be a self-starter and remain flexible in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
- Excellent time management and organization skills with the proven ability to manage multiple priorities which may change based on business demands.
- Effective oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience with various forms of employment law and labour legislation, such as Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Act, Hospital Labour Disputes Arbitration Act; Occupational Health & Safety Act; Ontario Human Rights Code, and other relevant legislation and/or regulations.
There will be the occasional need to work outside of core business hours. Travel within Halton Region required, incumbent must supply their own transportation.
- Supervise Human Resource professionals that are required to maintain a broad scope of expertise in human resources, with a more specialized expertise in Employee and Labour Relations.
- Lead or support negotiations of renewed collective agreements to achieve goals and objectives as established in the labour relations strategy and that they are consistent with department/business unit objectives determined through consultation prior to negotiations.
- Review and assist in the development of bargaining budgets and costings to ensure all settlements are within mandate provided.
- Monitor and oversee grievance activities, chairing grievance and mediation meetings, and preparing written and verbal responses on behalf of the corporation.
- Assist with the development of a Labour Relations strategy for the Region.
- Provide consultation and conducts workplace investigations ranging from workplace employee conduct to Human Rights complaints.
- Sound understanding of case law and arbitral jurisprudence to effectively suggest and guide resolutions for both themselves as well as the ER Specialists.
- Provide consultation, advice, and support concerning the interpretation and administration of collective agreements, corporate and departmental policies, and various forms of relevant legislation.
- Develop and manage stakeholder relationships including internal staff, union executives and representatives, legal counsel, and external investigators as required.
- Review and identify opportunities for improvement related to scripts, education, etc., based on metrics obtained through HR Access tickets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
June 11, 2019
June 25, 2019
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.