Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher?
Then, come and join our incredible team!
Position: Payroll Specialist
Reports To: VP, Human Resources
Division: Human Resources
Location: Dufferin & Steeles area
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You’ll be our payroll Subject Matter Expert. This role is responsible for all aspects of payroll and benefit administration. The successful candidate is a team player who is highly analytical, detailed oriented and customer focused.
• Full cycle payroll accountability for all employees (monthly salaried, biweekly hourly, contract, and bi-monthly for 2 US employees). Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
o Update Avanti Payroll System employee profiles accurately and timely with changes provided
o Process bi-weekly payroll timecards
o Process payroll for salaried, hourly and contract employees in a timely and accurate manner
o Manage HRIS/payroll lifecycle of all employees, including new hires, terminations, promotions, changes, ROE’s
o Update benefits and deductions
o Review and reconcile payroll and benefit deductions and remittances and reporting requirements for deductions and benefits as required by legislation, collective agreements & company policies are met
o Verify payroll each pay period to ensure transactions have been processed accurately
o Reconcile payroll source deductions for T4 purposes
o Schedule payrolls for approval
o Prepare accurate and timely T4s
o Respond to inquiries and provide advice, guidance and communicate to staff on all payroll matters including benefit deductions and remittances related issues/questions. Prepare confirmation of employment letters
o Ensure payroll procedures are in compliance with CRA, other regulatory bodies, and the applicable collective agreements
o The administration of the Avanti Payroll System, changes to calculations, employee setup and G/L mapping
o Prepare payroll reports (eg WSIB, EHT…) on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. Prepare ad-hoc reports as required by the business
o Maintain statistics on headcount for reporting purposes and to ensure payroll completeness
o Respond promptly, courteously and accurately to employee, auditor and government agency (ie CRA, WSIB, EHT) inquiries
o Develop and maintain payroll and benefits procedures and policies. Maintain and organizes payroll records in a secure manner; follow best practices for payroll related processes; create and maintain controls-based payroll procedure documents. Create and verify payroll exception reports
o Manage all payroll related year-end activates; reconcile taxable benefit and pension adjustment reports
o Process salary increases and incentives in accordance with company policies
• Benefit Administration: prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports and reconciliations, prepare employee communication when rates change, liaise U of T, Green Shield and Aon-Hewitt as needed, coordinate LTD applications, process retirement requests
• Budgets: support the preparation of budgets and their revisions (RF1, RF2, and RF3). Monitor the HR budget and investigate and bring forward exceptions
• Compensation: prepare annual Salary & Benefit worksheets for each division, update the Mission Rewards project plan, prepare annual salary increase letters and incentive letters, complete salary surveys
• Compliance Report: work with the HR Coordinator to prepare the annual board Compliance Report
• Participate as a member on the North York Health & Safety Committee
• Own the vacation and the termination processes (prepare term calculations and packages, make policy updates as needed)
• Provide onboarding for new hires at the North York location
• Provide back-up to HR Coordinator when she/he is away (eg post jobs, prepare letters of offer)
• Work on other projects/work as assigned
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Certification or enrollment is an asset with a minimum of 3 years of processing full cycle payroll experience
• Minimum 3 years of working with an HRIS
• University degree or certificate in relevant discipline and HR designation preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience in a unionized environment is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Solid understanding of current payroll legislation and the Ontario Employment Standards Act
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the organization and establish effective working relationships both internally and externally
• Results driven, self-starter
• Strong personal ownership and accountability along with ability to adapt to changing conditions
• Ability to diagnose and solve problems. Looks for ways to streamline and improve payroll processes
• Proven ability to maintain high standards relating to discretion and confidentiality
• Superior time management skills; strong ability to prioritize and ensure that he/she is on track to follow through on deliverables in a timely manner without the need for manager follow-up
• High degree of proficiency with Microsoft office productivity software (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and particularly Excel) Demonstrated competence with databases/information systems and compiling and analyzing HR data is an asset
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.