Director, Labour Relations and Health & Safety
SECURITAS CANADA LTD.
Director, Labour Relations and Health & Safety
LOCATION: Toronto, Canada Corp. Office
(location is near Sheppard and Don Mills)
Securitas, a global leader in the security industry, has been providing security services since 1899. With 8,000 employees in 25 offices across Canada and more than 335,000 employees globally, we possess the experience and knowledge to offer a broad range of services including: Leading Technology Solutions, Onsite and Remote Guarding, Mobile Guarding, and Investigations.
We are seeking an experienced Director, Labour Relations and Health & Safety offering a competitive compensation package. A previous Human Resources background is also an asset.
Please email your resume to Canada Human Resources: HRCorpResumes@securitas.ca
This job posting will remain open until successfully filled.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Human Resources for Canada, and based out of our Toronto Corporate office, the Director, Labour Relations (“LR”) and Health & Safety (“H&S”) will oversee these functions on a national level working with HR Managers across Canada. The Director, Labour Relations and Health & Safety will work in conjunction with the VP, HR to oversee the Company's labour relations, health and safety, related compliance & reporting, as well as assisting and/or leading other related human resources programs, policies, and procedures. This role will maintain good labour-management relations with various Unions across Canada; interprets the collective bargaining agreement language for coaching management, may assist and/or lead in labour negotiations, administers grievance procedures or other employee matters to a successful conclusion, including occasional Arbitrations.
Labour Relations (“LR”):
· In collaboration with the National Vice President, Human Resources and the Management Team across Canada, acts as a Company representative with Union Business Agents and/or Shop Stewards for union meetings, resolving issues, grievances, disciplinary matters, and similar actions.
· Assists the VP, Human Resources and Area Vice Presidents in the preparation, development and application of labor relation strategies, policies, and practices, including investigations, and providing advice with respect to union contract interpretation.
· Will participate in union collective bargaining negotiations from time-to-time under the guidance of the VP of HR. Collects data and information for negotiation preparation.
· Strives to maintain strong proactive, trusted relationships with the different Union Leaders.
· Responsible for the interpretation & administration of the Company’s multiple collective bargaining agreements (10+ contracts) and applicable laws.
· Will provide periodic reporting and updates about Labour Relation Matters, such as status, strategy and closure.
· Develops, implements and manages policies and procedures related to Labour Relations, grievances, and general workforce. May work with outside legal counsel from time-to-time.
· Works closely with Area Human Resources Managers across Canada to ensure a positive working relationship among Field/District Management, employees and their respective Union Business Bargaining Agents.
· Provides advisory support, coaching and education to leaders across the Company.
Health & Safety (“H&S”):
· Works closely with the Area Human Resources Managers, Area Vice Presidents, and District Managers, provides direction, support, and coaching, both at a national and local Branch level, including Health & Safety Committees. Participates and/or leads developing, implementing and improving safety management systems and processes.
· Interacts at all levels of the organization to drive best H&S standards and compliance; fosters a culture of health & safety that is consistent with Securitas values, objectives, and legislative requirements.
· Gathers, develops, tracks, reviews and analyzes data, information and reports in order to maintain compliance with internal and external policies, laws, and procedures.
· Conducts Health and Safety audits and may conduct or oversee health & safety training.
· Is proactive with mitigating risk; investigates accidents and/or critical injuries.
· Demonstrates ongoing sensitivity to diversity and inclusion and encourages and supports diverse views and approaches in the workplace by developing, maintaining, and enhancing programs that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Demonstrates excellent leadership skills including superb communication and consultative skills, commitment to delivery of results, and fosters partnership and teamwork.
· Assists the VP, Human Resources, Canada and Corp. and Area HR Teams from time-to-time in various Human Resources related functions, programs, and projects.
· Provides support as required as a member of the National Huma Resources Team promoting internal Customer Service Excellence. May be assigned additional duties.
· Experience working in a multi-site and unionized environment.
· Well-rounded knowledge of labour relations and a unionized workforce within an HR context e.g. has handled grievances, attended or led union negotiations, and similar. Understands with proven hands-on knowledge of related Labour Relations and Health & Safety processes, reporting requirements and legislation. Stays abreast of changing legislation.
· Ability to build and maintain collaborative, positive relationships with all stakeholders.
· Analytical, with problem-solving skills with ability to apply sound judgment and innovative solutions to challenging issues. Conflict/alternative dispute resolution skills.
· Track record for promoting collaboration and trust. Demonstrates good attendance.
· Business acumen, results driven and Customer Service Excellence orientation.
· Ability to multitask while remaining organized; able to set priorities and meet deadlines.
· Knowledge of health and safety legislation (across all Provinces).
· Must possess excellent consultative and interpersonal skills to work with internal and external Stakeholders; attention to detail and organization skills are important for this role.
· Superior communication (both oral and written) skills; experience developing policies and procedures, including excellent procedure writing skills.
· Maintains composure in dealing with different stakeholders and/or challenging circumstances, occasionally under conditions of urgency and/or pressure situations.
· Excellent planning, follow-through, leadership, and coaching skills.
· Astute in handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
· Must be computer proficient and have a strong working knowledge of MS Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); working with HR IT systems is an asset.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in LR or a related discipline, or a strong proven combination of education and work experience acceptable to the Company may be considered.
· A Human Resources designation is an asset. Other related certificates and education in labour relations, health & safety, are also considered assets.
· Minimum of ten (10) years progressive work experience in a related function (e.g. HR), with a minimum of four (4) years working specifically in Labour Relations and Health & Safety. A previous background working in Human Resources in addition to LR and H&S is an asset.
· Must undergo and meet Company standards for background and reference checks.
· Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently; works well under stress.
· May require occasional use of a vehicle in the performance of duties.
· Occasional travel to various Company Branch Offices and other locations.
Please EMAIL your resume directly to Canada Human Resources:
Securitas Canada celebrates diversity and we welcome and encourage applications from the four designated groups; namely women, aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.