Human Resources Generalist (14 Month Contract)
Our purpose is simple and compelling: To release the natural power of stone to enrich modern living.
ROCKWOOL products save energy and water and reduce CO2 emissions, protect buildings from the spread of fire; reduce waste; improve acoustic comfort, building performance and aesthetics; and enhance Precision Growing, thereby improving the efficiency of fresh food production.
While the stone we use may be millions of years old, what we do with it is cutting-edge. Every day, ROCKWOOL colleagues are developing and applying new technologies to release yet more potential of stone wool to enrich modern life.
The Immediate Organization
This position reports directly to the HR Manager for our Milton location. This position has no direct reports and is a full time 14 month contract position.
Purpose of the Job
Provide human resources services to salaried and unionized hourly employees at the factory in Milton, and additional HR support at our head office.
Main Job Tasks
- Participate in and document all meetings between management and the union.
- Maintain seniority list.
- Attend all Grievance meetings.
- Present accurate and up-to-date records of circumstances relating to the grievance and the employee’s work history and performance record.
- Provide support and assistance to management in union grievance matters Participate in investigations
Policies & Procedures
- In conjunction with HR team, prepare, update and monitor compliance with policies and procedures
- Update and monitor compliance with policies and procedures for direct and indirect employees in ON
- Coach and train factory management team and supervisors to implement changes made through new policies and procedures
- Maintain and manage factory attendance program
- Provide benefits information to factory and head office employees
- Benefit administration responsibilities for all factory and head office employees
- Ensure benefits changes are made in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Administer employee RRSP program and arrange for plant visits from the financial services
- Arrange for reimbursements relating to employee programs (tuition reimbursement, hybrid car program, fitness, etc.).
- Participate in activities for all short and long term disability claims.
- Source and identify candidates for direct factory employment consideration as requested.
- Manage job postings as per the CBA Coordinate pre-employment testing as required.
- Develop, update and facilitate new employee orientation, both direct and indirect (plant and head office).
- Investigate sources for direct recruitment and participate in career fairs when required.
- Monitor hiring needs and progress for direct factory positions.
- Manage use with third party Temp Agencies, complete payroll requirements weekly
Employee Development and Retention
- Assist in the delivery of internal training programs as required
- Remain current with all relevant employment legislation.
- Keep HR team apprised of changes to all relevant employment legislation.
- Ensure that communication boards are up to date in the factory.
- Create plant postings as required
- Assist in tracking all vacation and leaves of absence for direct workforce
- Coordinate annual attendance / safety / service awards.
- Drive Performance Management and/or evaluations for direct employees through the Supervisors
- Coordinate and provide input into bi-annual People Meetings
- Other duties as required.
4. Professional Skills & Personal Behaviours (competencies)
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources Management
- 3-5 years of HR experience
- 1-3 years of HR experience in unionized manufacturing environment
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- HR designation preferred
- Gives clear direction to others as to what is expected of them
- Contributes to employees/colleagues development
- Plans & organizes their own work effectively
- Actively works with customers/clients to identify needs and propose solutions
- Gains an in depth insight into other people and adjusts their behavioural style in order to achieve goals
- Remains professional at all times