Full Time Manager, Learning and Development
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary:
The Manager, Learning & Development (L&D) will lead the design, development and delivery of processes, tools and programs throughout the Division to assist employees and Officers to realize their professional development goals. Particular focus will be given to building leadership capability for managing high performance teams and developing high potential talent. Learning and development activities will be in alignment with Ministry Unit and Divisional strategic goals.
- Responsible for the divisional learning and development plan, including development and/or outsourcing of learning programs, development of content, managing the budget, delivering learning programs and evaluation of efficacy of learning.
- Working with colleagues and Ministry Units, conduct regular needs analyses to identify strategic and operational learning opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Territorial Leadership Development team to integrate the leadership competency framework into regular people practices.
- Partner both internally and externally to design training solutions that are progressive, engaging, and reflect the unique Christian culture of the organization.
- Create and present/facilitate ongoing group learning/webinars
- Participate in the review / design of processes, tools and programs for Ministry Units enabling them to identify, recruit, and develop high potential talent.
- Enhance current orientation and onboarding programs to ensure new employees:
- develop a solid understanding of The Salvation Army’s history, vision, mission, values and culture
- receive all required training, including but not limited to safety, job expectations and performance management, and applicable policies and programs
- Assist leaders with development of career pathing / succession plans for their teams, including identification of candidates and creation and implementation of personalized training plans and schedules.
- Develop and implement L&D strategies to increase employee and volunteer engagement and job satisfaction with The Salvation Army.
- Coordinate/encourage employee and officer participation in courses with Booth University College and other technical and professional community schools and universities.
- Develop and maintain a business case for ongoing training & development resources within the Division. Manage L&D budget and leverage internal capabilities in the development and execution of learning opportunities.
- Design, develop and market a shared platform for learning opportunities through the OCE Division. Provide and/or source engaging curriculum-based opportunities for self-directed and blended learning. Source on-line learning opportunities, webinars, conferences, etc. and communicate offerings to Ministry Units in alignment with professional development goals. Provide tools to evaluate effectiveness of instructor and of the learning programs, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Success in coordinating multiple projects across multiple locations in a large geographic area, with a sense of urgency and commitment
- Business Partner consultative approach with proven influencing abilities
- Proven ability to motivate and engage the commitment of others to embrace change
- Customer service attitude, demonstrating a collaborative approach to solving problems and creating success
- Alignment with the values, mission and vision of The Salvation Army
- Natural coaching capabilities demonstrated through quality listening and appreciative questioning
- 5+ years of experience in the field of adult learning
- Applied knowledge of adult learning principles, design techniques, and best practices for blended learning solutions that are practical and engaging
- Experience with the design of organizational talent identification, understanding of competency frameworks and development processes, tools, and programs, with an initial focus on managerial leaders
- Certificate, diploma, or degree in adult learning and/or learning design principles
- Diploma or degree in the field of Training and Development; Communications, and/or Human Resources
- Knowledge of and familiarity with educational requirements governed through legislation (Health & Safety, AODA, MOL, etc.) and governing bodies that grant professional licenses and designations
- Strong organization, presentation and facilitation/training skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively building strong working relationships
- Experience in implementing organization-wide change
- Ability to deliver quality work in a clear and simple manner, meeting deadlines, prioritizing and executing tasks while under pressure
- Ability to stay current with the latest industry trends and best practices
- Strong customer service orientation
- A valid driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear criminal record check
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 40 hours per week
Interested applicants are asked to contact Lisa Baker by July 12, 2019
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.