Senior Human Resources, Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Are you a results-oriented human resources (HR) professional, passionate in providing functional leadership and advice with respect to all Employee Services programs related to Benefits, HR and Payroll functions? Do you welcome the opportunity to use your expertise in support of a dedicated and diverse team at the Toronto Police Service (TPS)? If so, we invite you to consider being part of our Employee Services team in this senior role.
The Toronto Police Service is the fourth largest municipal police service in North America. With over 4,500 police officers and approximately 2,000 civilian employees, we are dedicated to delivering best-in-class police services, in partnership with our communities, by being where the public needs the Service the most, by embracing partnerships to create safe communities, and by focusing on the needs of the City.
We take pride in our diversity and in our dedication to keeping Toronto the best and safest place to be. Our well-earned reputation as a world leader in policing is a reflection of our commitment to excellence, innovation, quality leadership, and ongoing professional development. In the TPS, we talk proudly about the many career streams that we have to offer and, no matter the position, we are all expected to live our core values and embody our core competencies. As Senior HR, Payroll and Benefits Specialist, you will share our pride and commitment in this regard.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Employee Services, you will be responsible for ensuring the efficient, timely cost management and administration of all department programs in accordance with established policies, collective agreements and legislated requirements.
As a trusted senior HR/Finance professional, you will provide leadership, guidance and advice for developing new plans, creating efficiencies, and regarding policies, budgeting and collective bargaining requirements for the Service.
You will represent the Service across various networks, and with partners and stakeholders such as the City of Toronto, OMERS, Toronto Police Association Directors, Senior Officers Organization Directors, and vendors for payroll, pension and benefits purposes such as benefit carriers, as well as actuarial, audit and consultative work.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As Senior HR, Payroll and Benefits Specialist, you will:
- Provide direction, oversight, guidance, and problem-solving support, day-to-day coaching and mentoring to Employee Services members, as required, and perform back-up functions for the Employee Services Manager.
- Provide guidance and consultation on new or proposed human resources, payroll, pension and benefits programs, policies and emerging issues, to Senior Service and Board management, internal/external stakeholders, employees and/or employee groups.
- Act as a subject matter expert in current employment, benefits, pension, labour and human rights legislation as well as existing collective agreement matters affecting the Service’s programs that are administered in the unit.
- Develop recommendations and provide consultation and advice for collective bargaining purposes.
- Develop analysis and solutions in providing information, statistics and metrics on human resources, payroll, pension and benefit programs administered within the unit, for negotiation and information to the Board, City of Toronto and Command plus other internal/external stakeholders.
- Oversee, analyze and review the administration of medical, dental and life insurance plans, claims adjudication and adjudication of short- and long-term income replacement plans, and pension plans; develop and implement process simplification, standardization and automation changes for those plans to minimize cost, risks and concerns for the Service.
- Oversee and lead, along with OMERS, pension issues affecting employees and retirees, and work with OMERS to implement any new pension legislation or changes to that legislation that impact the Service.
How do I qualify?
- A degree or diploma in Human Resources Administration or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 8 years of practical Human Resources, Payroll and/or Benefits administration experience, of which at least 5 years have been at a supervisory level.
- Human Resources designations such as CEBS or CHRP are considered an asset.
- You have an updated and excellent understanding and broad knowledge of benefits theories, policies and practices in both union and non-union environments.
- You are an expert in benefit design and have been involved in all stages of the design plan.
- You have comprehensive knowledge of current and related Employment, Labour and Human Rights legislation, particularly within a unionized environment, as well as familiarity with the collective agreement process and related labour relations standards, codes and regulations.
- You have strong analytical skills, with the ability required to perform data collection, quantitative and qualitative analyses, provide statistical analysis and reports, and conduct benefits-related research, surveys, etc.
- You have good knowledge and understanding of benefit increases and budget costings as well as a sound understanding of labour relations practices, including the grievance/arbitration process.
Consultation and Communication Skills:
- You have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills required to effectively deal with various levels of personnel, senior and executive management, the TPS Board, internal and external partners, other police services, etc.
- You have excellent conflict resolution and problem-solving skills with complex and sensitive issues.
- You have extensive experience with vendor management.
Salary range: $115,728 - $133,972 per annum
How to Apply:
For more information about this permanent, full-time position as a Senior HR, Payroll and Benefits Specialist (Job ID 4888) and to apply online, by Monday, July 15, 2019, please visit our website at http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/.
Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an e-mail confirmation within 24 hours. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The Toronto Police Service is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve. We encourage applications from our diverse communities, including Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, women, visible minorities, LGBTQ+ persons, those who are able to speak fluently in another language(s) and anyone committed to a rewarding career in public service.
THE TORONTO POLICE SERVICE SUPPORTS EQUAL OPPORTUNITY INITIATIVES
Accommodation will be provided in all stages of the hiring process. Contact us for any accommodation requests, and we will work with you to meet your needs.
YOUR CAREER…YOUR COMMUNITY…YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!