Sr. Employee & Labour Relations Specialist
Human Resources is dedicated to cultivating the optimal environment and culture to achieve organizational goals. This is achieved through the highest quality of HR service, delivered to maximize the potential and contribution of our greatest asset – our people. Our vision is to inspire HR excellence and enable optimal organization performance making it possible for exceptional people to achieve exceptional results.
Reporting to the Director of HR Operations and Labour Relations, the Senior Employee & Labour Relations Specialist supports the development, implementation and evaluation of effective labour relations strategies and provides expert evidence-based advice to the HR Business Partners on labour relations matters. The Senior Employee & Labour Relations Specialist will maintain a union-specific portfolio (for unionized groups) and a program specific portfolio (for non-union staff) and will act as subject matter expert and engage in coaching, mentoring and training that supports and reinforces a strategic HR delivery model.
In addition, the Senior Employee & Labour Relations Specialist will:
- Provide expert advice on both union and non-union issues including the coordination of non-union terminations and oversight on severances related to a common law analysis.
- Manage and promote positive, interest based union relationships on behalf of the Hospital.
- Chair Labour Management Committees and lead negotiations with respective unions.
- Develop and execute employee and labour relations strategies to support and further the interests of the Hospital.
- Engage in creative problem-solving to develop effective strategies and solutions in support of operational initiatives and challenges that adhere to collective agreement and statute.
- Develop, deliver and evaluate comprehensive education and development programs to stakeholders within the organization.
- Represent the Hospital with counsel in external litigation including arbitration, Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, OLRB or PEA proceedings.
Schedule Work Hours
Monday to Friday; days
1. Undergraduate degree in Labour Relations, Industrial Relations, Business or equivalent related experience, Master’s is an asset.
2. Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) is an asset
3. Minimum 5 – 7 years of experience as a labour relations specialist, in a highly unionized environment.
4. Minimum 5 years of experience in acute care and teaching healthcare or other related environments where healthcare was a primary focus is considered an asset.
5. Strong mediation skills attained from a combination of practical and academic experiences.
6. Strong business acumen with a solid understanding of the environment and ability to understand complex concepts.
7. Proven negotiation skills and previous experience at a local hospital negotiations would be considered an asset.
8. Demonstrated ability to train, coach and mentor using methods appropriate for adult learners.
9. A strong working knowledge of MS Office, Internet, email and HRIS applications is required.
10. Excellent client service skills with proven experience in building and maintaining relationships and ensuring service standards are met; Possess the ability to gain credibility and be viewed as a subject matter expert (SME) in labour relations.
11. Expert-level knowledge and experience working with relevant legislation including Employment Standards Act (ESA), Ontario Labour Relations Act (OLRB), Ontario Human Rights Code (ONHRC), Pay Equity Act (PEA), Public Sector Labour Relations Transition Act (PSLRTA), Hospital Labour Disputes Arbitration Act (HLDAA), Occupational Health and Safety Act (OH&SA).
12. Knowledge of Hospital Central Agreements (ONA, CUPE), considered a strong asset.
13. Experienced project management and organizational skills and an ability to work efficiently and multi-task in a high volume, results-oriented environment.
14. Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, mature judgment, and ability to take action and display initiative.
15. Demonstrated communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with proven ability to build relationships and influence change
16. Ability to develop partnerships and achieve results through others using motivation principles and negotiation skills.