Manager, Human Resources & Labour Relations
In keeping with our strategic plan commitment to fostering Access and Success, Community Prosperity and Institutional Excellence, we encourage applications from persons of Indigenous ancestry. In accordance with Confederation College’s core values of respect, caring and openness we are committed to providing our current and future employees with a workplace that is safe, healthy and fair. As such, we are fragrance free, fully accessible and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact Human Resources Services at (807) 475-6148 to make appropriate arrangements.
The Manager of Human Resources and Labour Relations is responsible for the formulation, implementation and administration of sound human resource practices in the areas of: staff development/training, succession planning, career counselling. As well, the implementation and administration of sound human resource policies as they relate to employee recruiting and employment, salary administration, organizational development, human rights, employment equity and human resource planning.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides technical advice, consultative services, support and assistance to line managers;
- Advises line managers on the interpretation of human resources policies, procedures, directives, Ministry guidelines, collective agreements and terms and conditions of employment for administrative staff;
- Negotiates with bargaining unit and non-bargaining unit representatives on issues relating to interpretation and requirements off collective agreements and terms and conditions of employment;
- Sits on internal Union-College committees and represents the College on provincial committees as appropriate;
- Manages the full recruitment/selection cycle for faculty and administrative positions;
- Manages salary administration systems;
- Responsible for WSIB claims management, short and long term disability management;
- Manages/implements return to work and attendance management programs and manages accommodations;
- Provides advice, support and assistance to employees with respect to Work/Education Placement Agreements, WSIB and MTCU insurance claims management practices;
- Produces reports and statistics as required;
- Ensures compliance with relevant legislation and Ministry requirements through all levels of the College, investigates/mediates complaints, and acts as the Designated FOI Officer; and
- Develops/amends human resource policies, provides guidance and support in planning and implementing strategies and other initiatives to meet college strategic objectives.
- Four year Honours degree in Business Administration or Human Resources Management, together with:
- Seven years of progressive human resources and labour relations experience in a unionized setting preferably in the public sector; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CHRL designation preferred;
- Certification in Alternative Dispute Resolution preferred;
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving and planning skills;
- Demonstrated human relations and organizational skills;
- Report writing and presentation skills to groups at all levels of the organization is a critical requirement of the position;
- Alternative dispute resolution skills are imperative to the position; and
- Computer skills with a variety of software programs are essential.