Human Resources Generalist
International Justice Mission Canada
Are you the candidate we are seeking?
Do you have a passion for the mission Christ gave His Church, and a desire to use your skillset and knowledge to help protect the poor from violence in developing countries? Does the idea of being a human resources generalist who provides outstanding support for the people on our Canadian team excite you? If so, you may be the candidate we are seeking.
International Justice Mission Canada is part of a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. IJM partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. The largest organization of its kind, IJM combats slavery, sex trafficking, sexual violence, police brutality, property grabbing and other forms of violence in 17 communities throughout Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia.
IJM Canada is seeking a dynamic, organized Human Resources (HR) Generalist to play a key role in the success of the organization by providing expertise in the areas of recruitment and selection, employee relations, employee benefits, compensation and other HR-related programs and services. This is a new role offered by this growing organization which is likely to have a staff complement of thirty-one by the end of 2020.
The HR Generalist will build positive relationships throughout the organization and contribute to creative and innovative initiatives, aligned with the organization’s strategic direction.
This is a full-time salaried position based at IJM Canada in London, Ontario that will report to the Director of Organizational Effectiveness.
Areas of Responsibility:
• Ensures the effective implementation of all HR programs and services.
• Handles all internal and external HR-related inquiries or requests, acting as the first point of contact for HR-related matters.
• Records: Maintains employee records in accordance with legal requirements and best practices.
• Policies: Proposes improvements to, and maintains, employee and HR policies and procedures and ensures compliance.
• Recruitment & Selection: Guides the full cycle of recruitment, including preparing job descriptions and job grading, posting jobs, managing the interview process, developing contracts and coordinating onboarding. Responsibilities would also include the recruitment and onboarding of interns and fellows.
• Transitions: Manages staff transitions, including maternity/parental leaves, resignations
and terminations, and reviews all contracts annually, revising and updating as required.
• Performance: Assists with and supports performance management and conducts the
annual employee survey, analyzing the results and making recommendations to improve the
• Payroll: Assists with payroll and reviews/monitors time sheets.
• Benefits Program: Administers benefits plan (enrollments, changes, etc), resolving
benefits-related issues, reconciling benefits statements, liaising with vendors, auditing
• Liaises with IJM North America Region HR contact to facilitate regional programs.
• Keeps up-to-date with HR regulations, best practices and trends, keeping appropriate people
informed of emerging HR needs.
• Performs other related duties as authorized by supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Degree or diploma in human resources management
• CHRP designation, CHRL preferred
• Minimum 3 years of human resources experience, preferably in the not-for-profit,
• Full cycle recruiting experience
• Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of relevant regulations and laws including employment
standards legislation, human rights legislation, employment equity, and health and
• Benefits management experience is essential
• Payroll experience is an asset
• Experience with KinHR software, or similar, is an asset
• Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
• Affirm the importance of justice being central to our Christian faith
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing situations
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Professional attitude
• Excellent written and oral communication
Why IJM Canada?
• We offer a generous compensation plan
• We offer the chance to work in an engaged and positive work culture where employees
• We offer coaching, professional and personal development, and staff care
• We offer the opportunity to make a difference in the world
• We are more than a workplace. We strive to be a community of spiritual formation,
helping our staff work out God’s call to justice in their lives
• Position reports to the Director of Organizational Effectiveness
• Position based at IJM Canada headquarters in London, Ontario
• Applications accepted until July 19, 2019 – target start date September 2019. We thank
all applicants for their submission however, only qualified candidates, who are selected
for an interview, will be contacted.
• Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• IJM Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodation is available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the
To apply, please send Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
International Justice Mission Canada
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 336, STN B
By E-mail: email@example.com
*What is a statement of faith? A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how it is
relevant to your involvement with IJM Canada. The statement can either be incorporated into your
cover letter or submitted as a separate document. It should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current faith community.